Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worming sheep  (Read 3081 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Worming sheep
« on: September 16, 2011, 06:38:10 pm »
I took a faeces sample from our female sheep yesterday - not from each one, but I reckon a fairly representative sample. I got the results back today (well done, Westgate Laboratories   :thumbsup:) and it showed 200 eggs per gram strongyle eggs (medium count).

They were last wormed with Fasimec Duo S in January 2010 (can't believe it's that long ago), except for Niamh and Nova, who we bought in October 2010 and were wormed / fluked when we brought them home. A worm test in September 2010 of the sheep then present showed no worm eggs; neither did one done in February 2011.

I gave them a flukicide after lambing (Fasinex 5%)I was planning to give them a dose of Fasinex 10% this weekend before moving them on to a fresh paddock but I'm going to worm them as well.

I thought I should use something that's not ivermectin based, since Fasimec Duo S is. I thought Panacur, which is fenbendazole based. It also does the cattle as well.

Does this seem a reasonable course of action?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Worming sheep
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 07:48:29 pm »
IN your situation its your choice using ivermectin again wouldn't be a problem, to dose your cattle is not easy physically even with a good crush a pour on is much easier and can be done while feeding quiet cattle.  I would be thinking of changing the flukicide to stop any resistance FLUKIVER and TRODAX should used either for afull change or once or twice instead of FASINEX

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 12:15:23 am »
All sounds fine except I would take issue with moving them onto clean ground.  This is no longer recommended as good practice, because you are increasing the risk of wormer resistance developing.  If you think about it, when you dose your animals, all worms will be killed except any which are resistant to the wormer you have used - and resistance is becoming increasingly common.  If you then move those animals onto clean pasture then the only worms with which they will become re-infected will be wormer resistant ones which they have dropped, thus greatly increasing the rate at which numbers of those resistant worms increase.  If on the other hand you keep your animals in the same pasture for a few weeks after worming, they will pick up both susceptible and resistant worms, so the resistant ones will have plenty of competition so will not be provided with a preferential environment where they can increase at will in an environment without other worms present.   On the face of it, moving to clean pasture would seem the intuitive thing to do, but Mordun and most vets now frown on that practice
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 09:37:27 am »
Thanks, both

My plan was to worm them this weekend then move them middle of next week. If the test had been clear, I'd have moved them today. Probably be Thursday dosing and move them next Sunday now. Hoping that's long enough for a clear out  ::) Certainly wormer works through horses in about 48 hours. Anyway I need to order wormer  :)

shep53, I only have two cows and 20 sheep, so I need to use something that does both species or I have to waste a lot of chemicals. I'll have to use Fasinex this time round, because I've got a big bottle of it but it has a long use-by so I'll see if anyone in the local smallholders asociation wants to but it and I'll change my flukicide next year. In my ignorance, I though triclabendazole was THE flukicide  ::) re the dosing cattle - the vet' coming to PD and TB test them - I'll get him to do it. He did them last year and they were fine - and he's young and likes a challenge   ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS