Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When Butchered,who has All the pig and?  (Read 9518 times)

lill

• Joined May 2011
Re: When Butchered,who has All the pig and?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 06:37:59 pm »
melodrama,
sorry don't have a recipe for the potted haugh, after all meat is cooked,remember to liquidise or mince the meat several times to get it similar to pate add the juice and salt little by little till you are satisfied with the taste,  :pig:

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 08:02:58 pm »
We have used all the heads, trotters etc; everything bar the intestines. The dogs get the pluck (heart, lungs, tongue, oesophagus), I make pate from the livers. I use the trotters to make jelly for the pork pies. I used to have a Chinese customer who would buy EVERYTHING but she's moved away now :-(
We send our pigs to slaughter in small groups and I get the heads cut in quarters - so no problem with recognising our former friends! I had a marriage proposal as a result of my brawn!
I have a recipe for potted hough:
1kg hough
1 marrow bone split or sawn in half
2 trotters
2 carrots, 1 onion, peeled
1 bay leaf
seasoning to taste
Cover meat, veg and bay leaf with cold water, bring to boil & simmer for 4 hours, skimming off any froth. Remove meat from pan, discard vegetables & bones. Leave meat overnight to cool. Strain stock and leave to cool, then skim fat from stock.
Next day put the cleaned stock on to heat and boil until it's reduced to a good beefy liquid. Mince the meat (plus the skin from the trotter if you like - but i leave it out!) and mix in seasoning. Put the meat into dishes/moulds, and pour the stock over. Leave to cool, then set in the fridge.
Yum!!

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 09:26:20 am »
Thanks Tiva Diva.  Now for the really silly question - which bits exactly are hough?????  sorry, I've always eaten it but not sure exactly which bits to use  :-[

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 05:21:33 pm »
Hough is the tough leg meat. Strictly speaking hough is shin of beef, but my recipe works for a hand of pork, or a pig's head - any tough and sinewy but tasty meat that needs long slow cooking. It's what agas were made for!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 07:10:32 pm »
When my current girls go I shall tell the butcher that all he can keep is the "oink" ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 07:16:19 pm »
you will be lucky    but good luck :farmer:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 10:51:42 am »
Hi :wave:,

Just a thought,when I was speaking to the Butcher,he asked me if I wished for the entire pig,some do,some do not,ok,so I can make brawn with the head right? I actually like Trotters :yum:-made with a Hungarian recipe ;)

So what about all the offal- and after sausage making what is left and what can be done with it?

Your suggestions please ;D
Here in Oz you get the carcass back from the abattoir,  minus the front trotters, and the guts, such as the liver, kidneys,  heart, etc.  If you want head on you have to have the information on your wieghbill.... otherwise it comes off and you dont  get that back either.   Butyou  can ask and they will charge you for each of the things that you want.   Some thing like 2 AUD per item.

robert waddell

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 02:23:28 pm »
what does the slaughter house do with the front trotters and the liver kidney and heart also the head
so the Australians get robbed twice with there pigs :farmer:

farming_newblood

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 04:06:10 pm »
We only get one or two killed and can always find another old farmer to take the heads and bones for dogs and stocks but what's the difference between putting it in household waste bin like you would with a raw chicken carcass? As long as you weren't doing it comercially surly it would be ok? Just a bit of a shock for the bin man if he sees it!

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 06:12:05 pm »
I would wish that our bin men had a shock like that as they are all blimming useless if the rubbish not in bin won't take it, if the lid not closed on bin they won't take, if you put it out to early they won't take there is a pattern here :( it would be funny to watch not only is the lid not on the bin but a pigs head staring at them :thumbsup:

robert waddell

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2011, 06:17:18 pm »
sorry to be the barer of bad news  I THINK YOU WILL FIND IT IS ILLEGAL TO DISPOSE OF ANIMAL PARTS IN THE DUST BIN :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS