Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Abattoir and Butchering cost's.  (Read 14032 times)

Mel

Re: Abattoir and Butchering cost's.
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 12:25:58 pm »
I have to agree,when I saw the butchers meat he had there in the bags with prices etc on it,it looks so much more professional and like you say you do get what you pay for,I shall send in some pictures of the finished product next week.

I am rather excited as is my first time with pigs and I hope I have fed them in such a way as to produce nice pork without excess fat! :thumbsup:

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 12:42:52 pm »
Leghorn...sometimes it is worth paying the little bit extra to start with to get a good result. Then, later as you get more experienced you can cut corners and costs.

i hope you do enjoy your pork. it tastes all the better for having been involved in the care of the pigs.
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

themasterbutcher

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 07:50:30 pm »
Expensive on the slaughter, cheap on the butchery, but theres butchery and BUTCHERY. Why not take a course and then you can DIY, plus make your own sausages and bacon.

HappyHippy

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 07:53:34 pm »
I use Chapman's abattoir at Shotts & their butcher shop in Wishaw does the cutting for me (when I'm selling direct as opposed to eating myself).
I had 3 pigs (all around 50Kg deadweight) 2 were done as pork and 1 as bacon (curing doubles the price per kilo). Cut, vac packed and labelled and the total cost (including the kill fee for each) was £168. I was really happy with their approach to slaughter (Bruce was there and saw the whole process) the standard of butchery and their customer service (in case you didn't realise - I'm really picky !  ;)) It's worth doing the rounds of all your local butchers til you find one you can trust, it'll hopefully be a long and mutualy beneficial relationship  ;D.
Karen  :wave:

mr.pitt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Humberside
  • Im 24 and have been a butcher since leaving school
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 10:26:11 pm »
The shop i am at usually charge for the butchery side full carcase split, cut, joints boned and rolled if asked for by customer diced steaked and packaged ready for the freezer, included in price is the packaging materials also sausage made burgers also if asked, if it is a customers own porker then the price is around the £40 mark.

Mel

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2011, 11:54:08 pm »
Expensive on the slaughter, cheap on the butchery, but theres butchery and BUTCHERY. Why not take a course and then you can DIY, plus make your own sausages and bacon.
We could not diy here,the premises (our cottage) is not large enough,we would have to have something built to suit. :( The butcher we are using is certainly professional,his name,John Robinson......http://www.tebbits.co.uk/   :thumbsup:  I have been down today talking over which what and so forth on the pork,can't wait really,we are going to have a mix of sausages aswell-Cumberland,Lincolnshire and such  :yum: it is all rather exciting!

The Mobile Butcher

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Whitby North Yorkshire
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 12:01:53 pm »
Hi,
I'm a butcher, who travels to smallholders and butchers  Pigs, Sheep or Cattle.I do this with with my brother. We have over 40 years experience in the trade.
If any of you good folk in the north of England needs a butcher to come to you for a day........we are the the men :thumbsup:
we are based in Whitby, however we travel all over doing the tuition or butchery. all to your personal requirements.
we are going down to Lincoln next month to do our service for a chap from this website.
please drop me a email if you need any more information paulsmith0407@aol.com

Kind regards
Paul - the mobile butcher
Paul - The Mobile Butcher

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 02:49:40 pm »
Sounds like a fabulous idea, wish we had something like this in Oz........

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS