Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig requirements - Wales  (Read 4611 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Pig requirements - Wales
« on: September 15, 2011, 01:14:35 pm »
I know there are quite a few of you on the forum who have holdings in Wales and who keep pigs.  I am buying a property in Ceredigion can one of you tell me who I approach about getting a CPH numbert please.

thankyou
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Smokin

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Pig requirements - Wales
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 01:42:09 pm »
Welcome to Wales!  :thumbsup:

You need to contact your local animal health office for ceredigion, if you go to
www.animalhealth.defra.gov.uk
you can type in your postcode and this should bring up the address you need.
Hope this helps.
Smokin

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 02:09:10 pm »
Tankyou Smokin  :thumbsup:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 04:44:20 pm »
For your flock and herd numbers you will need to phone animal health 01267 245400
the Welsh Office will have a local branch to you for your cph.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 07:56:39 pm »
Thanks Tizaala

Sally

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 08:46:41 pm »
If i can do it with Carmarthenshire County Council anybody can lol :) good luck

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 09:08:54 pm »
Hi Sally, welcome to Ceredigion. We are in Ceredigion with pigs and it was Carmarthan office we had to apply to for the holding number and animal health there as well. Sounds daft but never wondered about it being a different county but maybe they deal with all of West Wales. It took about a month for our holding number to come through and about the same time for our herd number.
Good luck and welcome again, maybe we will meet up..... Anne

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 01:20:58 pm »
Camarthen it is then.

Good to know that it takes about a month as well.  That will give me a timeline to work with before I get the pigs.

thanks for all the responses

Sally

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 04:21:03 pm »
We went into the officer and filled out the form and we had our number back within the week :)

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 09:21:32 pm »
You were lucky Welshlass, so did we go into office thinking it would speed things up. We had to ring 3 times to chase them up. They kept telling us they were very busy and would get around to it.!! Good luck Bionic hope yours is only a week.  :wave:

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 09:57:11 pm »
I'm not the only one :) a friend of mine sent the forms in and they were back within 10 days.  I went into the office to fill out the form as i wanted to make sure that they had the right bit of land and i got the bloke to fill out the number incase it was wrong hehe :)

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 10:04:39 pm »
Maybe they just didnt like the look of me then, mind you it was years ago, glad to hear its quicker now.Sorry if I have misled anyone just telling my experience.   :wave:

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 10:15:33 pm »
Hi Sally, welcome to Ceredigion. We are in Ceredigion with pigs and it was Carmarthan office we had to apply to for the holding number and animal health there as well. Sounds daft but never wondered about it being a different county but maybe they deal with all of West Wales. It took about a month for our holding number to come through and about the same time for our herd number.
Good luck and welcome again, maybe we will meet up..... Anne

OMG although i dont live in Wales i couldnt help but replying we live in Suffolk and had to phone our "local office" about a 120 miles away! i phoned first thing in the morning and by late afternoon i had the whole lot cph number,herd number and they just then confirmed it by post.Why does it take so long in Wales?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 12:52:21 am »
A friend was overwintering some cattle for a neighbour, one of which was due to calve while there.  So, wanting to do everything right, and since she had no cattle and therefore no herd mark of her own, she applied for a herd mark.

Despite chasing many times, the herd mark didn't arrive and didn't arrive.  Now with cattle, there's a pretty small window when you can apply for the passport for a newborn calf.  If you don't apply in time (by about day 22 I think it is for sucklers), it all gets very very complicated. 

So, the calf was born, no herd mark, chased ... chased ...   Eventually winter ended, the cattle were wanted back home and the shed needed clear for lambing...

It's a funny thing, how that neighbour had a heifer registered born at home in April that they used to call Valentine...  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS