Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Piggy Update  (Read 1509 times)

violet

• Joined Jul 2009
Piggy Update
« on: September 15, 2011, 09:43:20 am »
I've made a couple of posts recently, while I've been trying to review my piggy situation. So thank you to all of you who have responded to that it's been great.
I've been really fortunate to have found lovely homes for one of my sows ( in-pig) and my boar. I'm keeping one sow and will be A.I.'ing her as I have successfully done this before on her.
It's been hard, but we feel if we take a step back and get some hardcore infrastructure in place, we can build things up again.
Maybe some of you may think we should have done this before, but the past two winters the ground has either been frozen solid or so wet that we have been unable to do any of the usual winter tasks. Also the croft has now flooded four times this year, due to torrential rain after long dry spells. It has only flooded once in the past 40 years. So I don't think we could have accounted for that at all.
So thanks again folks you've been great  ;D  :wave:

robert waddell

Re: Piggy Update
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 10:02:16 am »
i can understand where you are comming from with the pigs
not every area is suitable for pigs due to the rainfall and drainage conditions
two weaners or growers does not trash the land but 22 does also finding an avenue for your stock can take some time (they either want them when you dont have them or dont want them when you do have them)
the pig market can be up and down faster than a pair of nickers
i know  we have been there before we were up to 125 pigs eating a ton of food every week and that was in the good times :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS