Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do you think about collars?  (Read 9878 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: What do you think about collars?
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2011, 10:29:02 am »
I wouldn't put a collar on our cats for that reason.

Buffy, have you thought about self publishing an e-book?

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2011, 05:52:10 pm »
Hi Rosemary,

no I havent. Just found out that I'm to be made redundant so I wouldnt have cash to invest in being published. Is it expensive?

Buffy

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2011, 11:05:05 pm »
A good rule of thumb is that if you can get more than two fingers down between the collar and cat then the collar is too loose. This is when the cat can get either a paw or even their lower jaw under the collar. Not nice.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2011, 11:13:45 am »
A good rule of thumb is that if you can get more than two fingers down between the collar and cat then the collar is too loose. This is when the cat can get either a paw or even their lower jaw under the collar. Not nice.
If you can get even ONE finger between the cat and the collar a twig can get in there too - I think that's what happened to Rio.  No more collars for him! :'( :'( :'(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2011, 01:48:06 pm »
We've had collar horror stories too, my old cat Molly disappeared for quite some time and in that period of her being missing lost a lot of weight. Subsequently she managed to get her front leg right through her collar which then rubbed and actually formed scar tissue OVER the collar  :o  She limped back to us several weeks after going missing and we took her to the vet where the collar was surgically removed, it was awful. She did recover and went to live to a great age.
I have resorted to a collar on snowball because of the mad cat woman who steals her periodically. I got a collar from pets at home that says "I have a home, do not feed!!" - and guess what? mad cat lady appears to have taken it off!!!   
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2011, 06:12:15 pm »
Have you spoken to said  'mad cat lady'?  I'm afraid I would be having more than  a nice friendly 'don't feed my cat' word with her.  I'd be warning her I'd be after her blood if Rio was found in her house!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2011, 07:27:17 pm »
We have spoken to her, as have other neighbours as it turned out she's feeding several local pet cats that are not hers! she's a bit of a case, quite sad really, but the fact that 2 of my cats were killed crossing the road apparantely on their way back from her house (over the field opposite) prompted us to give her a stern reminder. Snowball's mainly been staying home now for quite a while, thank goodness, but there was a time when she used to come home smelling of log burner and strong perfume - neither of which she picked up here!!   
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS