Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What will i need?  (Read 2816 times)

apple and sauce

• Joined Jan 2010
What will i need?
« on: September 13, 2011, 08:55:55 pm »
We have pigs at home so have a small holding and herd number ourselves. The Boss at work(im a butcher) has decided that he may like to buy some pigs from market and then take directly to slaughter. Instead of buying in sides of pork. I was wondering what documentation if any he will need to do this?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: What will i need?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 09:07:19 pm »
Hmmm, well the mart usually create the movement documentation; the buyer tells them the destination address and holding number, haulier details, etc, and they print off the docs for you.

if he's going literally directly from the mart to the slaughterhouse he'll need to give the mart the full address and holding number of the slaughterhouse and the vehicle reg, haulier details etc of whoever is taking them (in a proper livestock trailer or wagon.)   The mart would give him the documentation, he would get the haulier section signed by the haulier then hand the documents to the slaughterhouse who should sign for receiving the animals, return the haulier's copy to the haulier and send off the top copy to their local trading standards office.  If he would be taking them to a stopover in lairage outwith the slaughterhouse then he'd give the mart the details of the lairage - which would need a holding number - and then when he takes them to the slaughterhouse do a complete AML (animal movement license) for the journey from lairage to slaughterhouse.

HTH
Sally
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

apple and sauce

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 10:02:42 pm »
Thanks so basically need to speak to slaughterhouse before he goes to the market to get there details to put on the forms.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 10:14:42 pm »
Thanks so basically need to speak to slaughterhouse before he goes to the market to get there details to put on the forms.

Yes.  And, most importantly, their agreement that he can send some live pigs directly to them after he's bought them!  Our slaughterhouse has specific days and times for accepting small numbers of animals and no way could we send a few pigs or lambs to them in the afternoon of the market; they'll be solidly busy unloading the cattle wagons from the big buyers and agents.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 03:21:56 pm »
Do all abattoirs require the food chain form thingys?  Our local mart is once a month and 1 slaughter house i use takes in pigs on a Monday so there is a layover.  All mine requires is a food chain form, the travel docs and an ear tag (i purple spray them too but probably cos i'm over cautious) hope it helps a bit. 

PS i am a noob so don't take what i say for gospel hehe

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 03:34:43 pm »
yes it is now the law       if you state the animal is not subjected to any withdrawal periods  and you have injected with something that can cause adverse effects on humans you are in the s**t :farmer:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 08:47:10 pm »
Good thinking, welshlass - the food chain info is now on the movement license for sheep but the pig one is still the old style, I think, so the abattoir would need a seperate FCI form.  Plus, this has reminded me that our abattoir has a whole sheaf of documentation I had to fill in when I sent my first pig, to register myself as a pig producer (even though we've been taking them lambs for ever) and to register this consignment / batch of pigs.  All of which actually makes me wonder whether my abattoir would even accept pigs that'd just been bought at the mart...

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 09:17:15 am »
If buying from the market and taking straight to the abbatoir how do you know that the pig hasn't been injected recently with something. Do you have to declare that they are free of drugs when they go to the market?
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 12:47:25 pm »
Whoever sent the pigs to market would have had to provide the food chain information - either to say they are clear of any withdrawal periods, or, if that is not the case, what they had and when.  The mart should pass that info on to the buyer.  However I have never yet heard an auctioneer say 'These animals are still within a withdrawal period' or anything similar, so I am not sure how robust the systems for doing this would be... 

I think the presumption in a primestock ring would be that all animals are fit to slaughter.  It's more of an issue in a store or breeding ring, where some animals may be worth as much or more in the fat but the vendor not expect them to be bought for immediate slaughter.  I was at a store sale yesterday, and the auctioneer did announce for one batch of lambs that they'd been wormed for you - which probably would mean they'd still be in a withdrawal but it could be a 4-day withdrawal or a 56-day!  Hopefully if it were an issue the buyer would ask the vendor for the specifics.  Usually when buying store animals one does ask what they've been on and what meds they've had.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 01:03:01 pm »
Thanks for that Sally, I've never bought or sold through a market. :wave:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS