Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Unhappy boar  (Read 2789 times)

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
Unhappy boar
« on: September 13, 2011, 07:30:22 pm »
Hello everyone,
i have a very unhappy boar at present, i have 2 sows, one had piglets 4 weeks ago, so for obvious reasons, she has been taken out of the pen that the boar is in.
The other sow had piglets end of March, we haven't put her back with the boar, as we don't really want her pregnant again this year, i am sure he is depressed cos he can't get in with his girls, and have his wicked way! Has anyone got any suggestions???? Or does any one want to Hire a Mangalitza boar?

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
Re: Unhappy boar
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 07:55:00 pm »
HI there,  advertise him as a working boar to see if anybody interested in bringing there sow to you, my boar Bob has recently got one of my sows pregnant so they are separated now, I have put her in the ark next to Bob's with electric fence between them so he can still see and hear her, if you have the facility were he can run free as in the field were everyone is that may help, Bob loves running in the field he likes to wind up the ones that are in paddocks. It can be a bit lonely for them sometimes plenty of TLC and cake if he particulally restless a good night on the apples will make him sleep ;D

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 08:16:40 pm »
He can see the sow that had piglet 5 months ago, he just lays by the fence, he didn't eat this morning either, will see what he is like tomorrow and take his temp etc just to make sure he is depressed and not poorly

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 09:22:38 am »
Hi Nails,
You are wasting the boar only having 2 sows and not breeding from them regularly. He will get depressed being on his own and being able to smell them when in season. As Barrett says you are best seeing if you can get some women in for him so he can earn his keep. ;)
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 02:33:16 pm »
Hey Nails how's the boar this morning.

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 07:03:46 pm »
We have no room for more sows, we are moving at xmas and looking for land to put the 3 we have on, then we can look at getting some more, we were hoping that we could stay where we are but my mother in law is moving back to the house and wants us to move everything, we may have to sell pigs if we can't find somewhere, as it is we have nearly sold all our ducks, geese and chickens, it has been heartbreaking over the last few weeks seeing all our hard work being sold off.
Curly Sue is still the same Berkshire boy, i have advetised his services on the BPA and am looking at putting an ad in the pig mag, not sure what else i can do!

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 05:39:15 pm »
Mother-in-Laws who'd have um ;D

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 09:18:50 pm »
Not sure if it'll help but try farming ads website too. I am in a similar situation in that I keep a boar and only have three sows. I have only managed to hire him out once to one sow and that response was from the farming ads site. At the moment he is still i nwith one sow who isn't catching pregnant for some reason - the other two farrowed the end of last month :-) x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS