Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boar-hating sow  (Read 1544 times)

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
Boar-hating sow
« on: September 11, 2011, 11:23:57 pm »
Got the verdict this week. A sow which I bought in-pig from a very good breeder had a nice litter in December but, since then, proved impossible to mix with any others in the herd (she killed one sow), including boars.
Tried three boars, but she beat up every one. Three strikes and you're out here (even though she was a lovely, friendly, people-orientated pig).
Anyway, the abattoir confirmed my decision to cull - she had cystic ovaries, clear from the calcified eggs.
That explains the behaviour problems etc. Mind at rest now!
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

chickenfeed

Re: Boar-hating sow
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 07:17:24 am »
mum had a savage pig 25ish years back she was as soft as grease until she was giving birth each piglet she delivered she tried to kill attacking anyone trying to stop her, it took 5 people to try and save the piglets that night ( me being in the first stages of premature labour, 6 weeks early i delivered the next day  ;) any way as soon a she had weaned them off to the slaughterman. mum got a call from them to go have a look at the carcase turns out she had a twisted uterus (sp?) every piglet delivered must have given her so much pain she just flipped, good to know there was a reason behind the strange behaviour.

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
Re: Boar-hating sow
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 12:30:46 pm »
Hi Guys, I had  a gilt once that even though had been brought up with smaller pigs once she hit 9 months of age she went on  a squashing rampage she killed one and nearly killed three more, my eldest boy was the only one that could go near her so she went to the slaughter after that, I do separate my older pigs now they all run riot in a separate pen but still a nasty experience for us all.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS