Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meg due next week - your thoughts on creep area please  (Read 10027 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Meg due next week - your thoughts on creep area please
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2011, 11:51:58 pm »
They are beauties, nelson.  Fingers crossed I'll be posting mine soon ... although the proud dad-to-be is a polystyrene box and a twirly bit of plastic :-[
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
Re: Meg due next week - your thoughts on creep area please
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2011, 06:05:29 pm »
Congratulations Nelson & Ruby: she looks such a proud Mum!
Sally, we use farrowing rails like Karen described plus a cut-down metal sheep hurdle with a heat lamp hung behind it at the back of the ark. They don't really need a lamp to survive, but it means that when they're finished feeding they go and sleep in the creep area so are less likely to get sat on. We use a red bulb as the sows seem calmer with that.
Best of luck and keep us posted!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS