Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meg due next week - your thoughts on creep area please  (Read 10028 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Meg due next week - your thoughts on creep area please
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 06:20:15 pm »
Belly dropping, teats swelling, vulva starting to swell, so far no milk in teats...  Thanks for asking! 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

violet

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 06:36:20 pm »
 :thumbsup:

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 06:40:30 pm »
Hi Sally

Ruby is the same - she is now separated from Harry and quite happy in her own space. We are still slightly apprehensive about her being outside but would still feel the same if we managed to get her into the barn. The weather forecast is good so with a fair wind .....

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 06:50:07 pm »
Oh, nelson - Meg's still outside in her roomy warm dry ark - but the weather is still evil (thanks Katia!  ::)) - very very windy, squally up to torrential rain at times - but she loves her ark and still comes out to rummage about if the rain isn't too bad, and for her nuts twice a day.  If the ground remains this wet when she farrows I will put a plank across the doorway to stop the piglets getting out at all (there is a 5" lip built in already) until I think they can cope with what they'll hit when they do get out.

And I could always move the whole family to a stable if I had to - but they all have earth floors so I wasn't sure how long they'd survive Meg's rootling if I moved her indoors ahead of her time. 

Good luck with Ruby! 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 07:45:20 pm »
Good luck to you all who are midwifering at the moment I have to wait until mid Dec, will have plenty of hot towels and warm water and that will be just for me ::) best of luck and look forward to some good news and of course pictures.

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 08:32:14 pm »
Hi Barrett  :wave: :thumbsup:

Just on my way out to check on Ruby - it is a clear night - temp has dropped slightly - but plenty of straw in the ark - if she chooses to nest tonight.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 09:42:16 am »
Come on Meg & Ruby all this wating is killing me............... ;D
Good luck to you both and you know where we are if you need help.
Mandy  :pig:

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 06:18:05 am »
Hi everyone  :wave:

Ruby has 9 little jewels - checked on her at 1.30 this morning and she was asleep. Got up at 6 to look and she had farrowed. There was one still born  :-[.

Fingers crossed thus far. She looked calm and let me come in to have a nose around.

Sally - Any news on Meg?  Good luck

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 08:50:53 am »
Oh congratulations nelson!  And Ruby!   :pig: :trophy:

I think maybe Meg isn't quite as near as I thought - I worked out the 3 months 3 weeks and 3 days thing using lunar months (ie, 28 days) but reading up some more on the internet last night I think more people count them as calendar months - which would mean she's got another 6 or 7 days to go yet.  I'll keep checking twice a day anyway.

This morning she ran up for her nuts as usual (aren't pigs the funniest things when they run!  :D), but later she was reticent to jump down the step to her trough - which is a first.  I went in and reminded her there's a 'ramp' for wheelchair users and very pregnant pigs.  (She has to get round a tree - one side is gently sloping, the other a 1' step.)  OSBs are not the brightest of pigs, so I hope she remembers next time she's thirsty and on the higher ground!

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 09:04:15 am »
Hi Sally,
I did say at the beginning of this thread that it was 3 months 3 weeks and 3 days not 15 weeks and 3 days. I would say she is not due until thursday or friday next week.  ;)
Hope it all goes well for your first time and don't panic.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

violet

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 09:21:07 am »
She'll probably be early though as it's her first time too  ;D
 Congratulations nelson - enjoy  ;D

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 01:03:25 pm »
Well done Ruby!  :bouquet: Well done Nelson. Hope all going well.
Mandy  :pig:

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 06:46:05 pm »
Hi Thought I would post a picture of Ruby and her piglets. Also a picture of Harry (Dad) and Ruby just before she farrowed. :love:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2011, 07:47:26 pm »
Awww  :love: :love:

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2011, 09:18:39 pm »
Congratulations on your new family, love the pics, harry and Ruby look a very happy couple.  :pig: :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS