Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meg due next week - your thoughts on creep area please  (Read 10009 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Meg due next week - your thoughts on creep area please
« on: September 07, 2011, 09:46:30 pm »
ooookkkkayyy... so it's next week!  Thursday onwards, I think.  (15 weeks and 3 days, right?)

Got out my bookmarked 'farrowing kit' post from Karen
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=16784.msg160091#msg160091
and am pleased I have most things ready already, just a few more to get. 

My question is - what do people do / not do with regard to a creep area for the little oinkers?

We're having some refurbishments done in the main shed which were meant to be long finished by now but of course are still ongoing, so I can't use the pens I had planned to use.   ::)

I haven't really got another indoor pen that's very suitable; there are several but each has its drawbacks.  So now I am thinking I'll let her farrow in her ark.  This is now fully floored, raised off the ground and positioned near the gate so easy for me to get to her.  (And I've got a good head torch and will make sure I've got plenty of batteries for it!)  There's loads of space in the ark, so should I be concerned about her lying on piglets and try to rig up some sort of creep area - and if so, how??? - or will she likely be fine as it is?

What do others do?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Meg due next week - your thoughts on creep area please
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 09:52:26 pm »
My sow birthed in an old solid heating oil tank.  There wasn't any way that i could have made on in there so i had to leave it as it was.  She gave birth to 10 live and 1 still born piglets and they're all still alive and doing well.

Probably not the best of situations but i saw it as she is out and doing it on her own and left it up to her.

Good luck

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 09:17:03 am »
Hi Sally,
Its not 15 weeks 3 days, its 3 months 3 weeks 3 days which can be 5 or 6 days different to yours.
I never bother with creep area and loose a piglet occasionally but that is the way I prefere to do it. She will be fine outside in her ark, as long as she has plenty of straw, she will make a nest and they will be warm and snug. I find that if I loose a piglet through squashing its in the first 24 hours, after that she seems to be more carefull and they learn to keep out of the way.
Hope all goes well and don't panic. ;)
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 09:29:40 am »
Sally
You could put a raised scaffold pole down one side of ark about 9 inches off the floor and away from the outer wall, make sure its strongly secured at the ends and in the middle so as to take mums weight when she lays down, the piglets can then escape under the rail behind her.
HTH & good luck
Mandy  :pig:

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 12:46:45 pm »
Hi Sally  :wave:

We are in the same position. Normally our sows farrow inside the barn, but we tried to move Ruby our gilt this morning - she is due in about two days but was clearly set on staying outside. There was no way that she was going to move.  She is still with Harry her man and seems relaxed and contented. So we moved another pig ark in and will then separate them off by electric fence. Hopefully she will take to the new ark then do all her nesting etc in there. It will be a first for us outside - so this pm we are going to scout round the farm to see if we can find anything that we could turn into a farrowing rail as Mandy has suggested. Good luck.  :)

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 01:14:41 pm »
HI Sally, my first sow farrowed outside in her ark I did put about a bale and a half of straw in it though, and she gave birth during the night so when I checked in the morning she had done all the hard work herself and had 7 piglets, that story ended sadly unfortunately however, my other sow is now in pig she will also farrow outside mid Dec and yes I shall put a small bit of old ladder across with a heat lamp for he piglets, I don't necessarily think it is about squashing them that does happen and you won't stop it but it is a place where the piglets can go and mum gets a rest.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 01:20:38 pm »
Thanks for all the ideas and experiences, folks. 

Good luck, nelson and Ruby!  :pig:  I shall be interested to hear how you all get on!

I confess I haven't thought of any way to attach a post (in a full-grown pig-proof way  ::)) to a semi-circular corrugated iron ark, but will keep thinking...  :-\
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 02:09:38 pm »
Sorry guys, in my last blogg I said that I would be putting an old ladder in my arc with a heat lamp etc... I shall refrase myself my husband will be doing that job as no other contributions happen towards the piggies. :o

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 03:12:35 pm »
Why do you need a heat lamp? Mum and straw will keep them warm, some of mine farrowed outside in last years snow quite happily. Tough old things pigs :D
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 05:13:27 pm »
Why do you need a heat lamp? Mum and straw will keep them warm, some of mine farrowed outside in last years snow quite happily. Tough old things pigs :D
Yes, they are  ;)
BUT newborn piglets, coming out of a nice warm mummy pig to an air temperature that is considerably lower, wet with afterbirth and possibly quite weak will heat up and perk up quicker if they have access to a heat lamp. And, by setting up a creep area with a heat light the piglets will be more inclined to go there after feeding rather than snuggle up with mum, so you reduce your chance of squashed piglets post farrowing.

Sally - cut a hole in the back and front of your arc at the position you want (12 inches up off the floor and whatever depth suits), slide a scaffolding pole through and use exhaust clamps/jubilee clips inside and out to hold it in place. Make sure that there are NO GAPS or spaces round the side between arc sides and floor as piglets can quite easily trap a leg and get squished.

All these things just reduce the chances of losing piglets - I suppose it depends how relaxed you are about it and how clumsy your pigs are, I definately don't think it's as big an issue in the smaller breeds like Berkshires and Kunes, but with my Large Black sow it's definately worth my while doing it (I think  ;))
HTH
Karen x

violet

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 09:35:58 am »
Gilts can sometimes be a couple of days early so check her to see if she's getting milky.
We use a farrowing arc, in other words it came with the bars. I've never used a lamp - as I've never farrowed when it's been that cold, I would if I did though. I sit out in the arc with a torch & towel off the piglets  - though I don't like to interfere too much, it's reassuring for both of us ( I think anyhow), to be there. When mums restless I wait outside 'till she settles.
Also we've found putting a temporary barrier ( a plank of wood usually) across the front of the arc will stop any piglets falling out accidently and getting cold.
Mum may humph 'cos it may rub against her udders as she goes in & out, though.
By the time the piglets can scramble or jump over it they are able to find their way home & not get lost - or so we find.
In our recent litter we had one piglet that jumped over it on all fours - like it had little springs in it's legs  ::)

I love farrowing time enjoy  :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 09:46:18 am »
Gilts can sometimes be a couple of days early so check her to see if she's getting milky.

Oh violet, I check her twice a day!  (First timers, both of us!)  She's changing now, she looks different every day.  But so far the udder is still soft and there's no milk - but the belly has dropped and the teats at the back are beginning to swell up.  I'm excited and nervous in equal measure ...

violet

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 10:00:25 am »

Oh violet, I check her twice a day!  (First timers, both of us!)  She's changing now, she looks different every day.  But so far the udder is still soft and there's no milk - but the belly has dropped and the teats at the back are beginning to swell up.  I'm excited and nervous in equal measure ...

I guessed you would be  ;D
Our croft has flooded three times this year - it's only flooded once in 40 years and now.........................The water was lapping at the edge of Apples arc I bent down and you guessed it - she was milky  :o . Fortunately the water receeded as quickly as it came - but I hadn't moved her to the farrowing arc & was caught out again, but she was fine there.
It' so exciting isn't it - I'm getting excited for you................. ;D
  :love: :pig: :wave:

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 10:29:48 am »
Hi Sally, good luck, im also excited for you, OH and Meg. Looking forward to reading all about it. We have weaners but as yet have never had a sow farrow. Something we are considering for next spring, so interested to hear all about your Meg...... Anne.  :pig:

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 01:06:05 pm »
Sally any news on Meg?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS