Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs,Not keen on Potatoes,but Carrots-Yummy!  (Read 3508 times)

Mel

Pigs,Not keen on Potatoes,but Carrots-Yummy!
« on: September 06, 2011, 08:39:23 pm »
Hello :wave:

I took some more pics of my pigs yesterday,thought I would show them off-I am very proud of them,after all,it is my first time,a friend of mine keeps telling me to feed them potatoes,but they are not very keen on them but when it comes to carrots,they are in absolute heaven! ;D

They are 6 months on the 11th!

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Pigs,Not keen on Potatoes,but Carrots-Yummy!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 09:00:06 pm »
Adorable!  :love: :pig:  They do indeed look very pleased with their carrots! You mention they're your first pigs, so how many do you have? Most people start with 2, but you seem to have quite a few more.  :D

Don't feed them raw potatoes, btw, only cooked ones otherwise they can get very ill. All else can be fed raw.

:wave:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 09:02:12 pm by Eve »

Mel

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 09:06:40 pm »
I have six,four boars and two gilts. The boys should be ready very soon-so I am told. I do boil the potatoes up on a burner near their feed shed,I do not think it is worth the effort being down there waiting for them to cook if they turn their noses up at them! The carrots win every time :D

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 09:11:37 pm »

Don't feed them raw potatoes, btw, only cooked ones otherwise they can get very ill. All else can be fed raw.

:wave:

Is there a reason why they get ill?  I didn't know that and mine have been fed raw spuds along with any/all other veg i can get my paws on

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 09:46:11 pm »
Lovely piggies, lovely piccies!  Thanks for posting.

I noticed one pig with a hole where a tag has fallen out - sooooo annoying, doesn't matter what species, the bloomin' things come out.  We have one all black heifer has to be identified by the slits and holes in her ears - she will not wear tags!!

Mashed potato and milk - gets them liking spuds and liking milk - and makes for cute dinner-all-over-my-face piccies!

Oh, back on the tags - usually the sticky-out bit is inside the ear; but maybe you find they get pulled out less if you do them the other way?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 11:16:08 am »
Re raw potatoes making pigs ill: Hilarysmum mentioned some time ago what it was called, I can't remember right now what it was but a large amount (a bucket full a day or so?) of raw potatoes could kill a pig - so just a few doesn't hurt.

We used to boil potatoes when we only had 5 little piggies - they ate it all so quickly we stopped doing it and gave them all sorts of other fruit & vegetables.

Leghorn, are you boars and gilts together? In which case you need to separate them straight away or you could have baby piggies... Plus once the boars have mated, there's a hormone that makes their meat smell. The meat of an affected boar is often called 'pissy pork' because it does smell of wee. Only a minority of people can smell it but I'm one of them and it definitely puts you off eating it. The gilts don't get that problem, so you can keep them for several months longer, but boars usually go at 6 months.

Ours don't like carrots, but they're mad about plums and have eaten hundreds of apples already this summer.  :yum:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS