Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding pigs milk  (Read 6692 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Feeding pigs milk
« on: September 06, 2011, 12:53:15 pm »
it would seem that my pigs adore goats milk...judging by the way they DEVOURED the bread i had soaked it in!

so i'm thinking that i'll give them some of my excess milk from time to time, but not sure what kind of container to put it in.  there won't be enough to put it into their normal drinking bucket so was just wondering what people use?

and presumably i need two of whatever or they will fight?

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Feeding pigs milk
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 01:00:42 pm »
Something heavy or they will just knock it over - an old stone sink if you have one would do the job, but if it was me I wouldn't feed them milk - in my experience it causes scour.

:pig:

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 01:02:28 pm »
thanks ohlala, i've read quite a few posts about feeding milk and i think the general thought is not to overdo it or else it does cause scour.  i dont have much in the way of excess tbh, so it would only be a wee drop once or twice a week as a treat...and cos i cant abide wasting anything !

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 07:03:10 pm »
assuming it hasn't passed through your kitchen & therefore abiding by DEFRA regs...

soak their feed in it - either separates, meal or pellets will take up the milk.

as an occassional treat it should be ok.

better still, make cheese & give them the whey
Little Blue

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 07:08:14 pm »
assuming it hasn't passed through your kitchen & therefore abiding by DEFRA regs...

soak their feed in it - either separates, meal or pellets will take up the milk.

as an occassional treat it should be ok.

better still, make cheese & give them the whey

the whey was used for making the bestest ever (apparently!!) scones ever tasted in these here parts....lol

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 08:15:36 pm »
Meg gets waste dairy product, mostly whey but the odd bit of milk (end of jug, old milk when I've just got loads of new, etc.)  She was brought up with whey as a significant part of her diet and she loves it more than anything, even bananas.  Milk she likes but not as much as whey - at first she wouldn't drink milk because it wasn't whey but she's got the hang of it now.

Because she knows what it is and loves it so much, there's no worry about a non-tippy container, it's been drunk with complete concentration within less then a minute!  But when she has company I suppose I will have to think about two troughs...  It wasn't a problem with Gaby, she preferred the nuts and wasn't a great fan of whey.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 08:33:29 pm »
thanks sally...i take it meg is a pig and not a person?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 08:34:44 pm »
thanks sally...i take it meg is a pig and not a person?

I'm not sure what answer she would give, but yes, she's Meg-pig.   ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 09:22:50 pm »
I mix the meal in with powder milk :) they lap it up and the piglets love it

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 11:16:48 pm »
We just used to pour it in their trough with their pig nuts and they would devour it nearly as quick as it got poured in. If you plan to feed a fair amount of milk you need to introduce it gradually.

Beth

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 09:11:34 am »
thanks everyone :)

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 10:14:40 am »
the last poster what the france are you slaverring about      what has gouf to do with feeding pigs milk
ps   if dan removes the last post could he please indicate to that effect (saves me from looking like a random numptie) :farmer:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 10:34:21 am »
Robert I presume Dan thinks you deserve to look like a right numpty  ;D ;D ;D
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 10:40:19 am »
now my post looks like it is directed at laura    no no no  and the post counter is correct as well  if it had skipped one it would be more obvious
ah well i have broad shoulders         it could be interesting when i eventually get to meet dan :farmer:

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 12:25:35 pm »
poor Robert  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS