Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping Micro Pig Warm this Winter  (Read 11270 times)

robert waddell

Re: Keeping Micro Pig Warm this Winter
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 03:44:01 pm »
people come on asking for advice  and just because it is not what they want to hear they take the hump
anyone can keep animals in the UK without any prior knowledge or understanding that is not our fault
fact    there is no such thing as a micro pig   this is marketing urine for overinflated prices being charged for a designer pig
fact    they are bred from  the runts of the litter
fact    they are bred from traditional  pigs that can go to 300kilos
fact    they are social animals that need each others company
fact    if there pet pig is cold they are not providing for it as they should
what is wrong with any of the above why write war and peace just to dress something up to appease the delicate feelings of some how will they cope with real decisions     possibly people from a farming background should be barred from this site  and leave it to the Gina and Tony's of this world to muddle there way through livestock keeping either to feed the nation or just for pets  :farmer:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 08:10:33 pm »
I think the fact that they found Defra's animal welfare guidelines being stated politely (really just to underline that I wasnt just spouting a personal opinion but that they have a welfare responsibility) as 'offensive', would indicate that however nicely it was worded they were not interested in anyone trying to tell them that the answer to a cold pig is not knitting it a jumper :-O but allowing it to live as a pig, which means with the company of other pigs.

And I'd rather that we were the ones to try to drum that home, rather than the RSPCA inspector or the vet who has to put piggie down in the future.

This is about basic right/wrong welfare of a sentient animal and personally I dont think they necessarily left because of the way they were advised that they needed to do things differently. I just dont think they liked anyone telling them to do anything differently. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry they were upset, but would say exactly the same thing next time.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 08:59:29 pm »
Personally, I would be gutted that I was doing it wrong if I were them and would get another pig asap and thank everyone for the info.

The welfare of the animal is paramount. People SHOULD research each animals needs prior to taking them on.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 09:30:41 pm »
This is about basic right/wrong welfare of a sentient animal and personally I dont think they necessarily left because of the way they were advised that they needed to do things differently. I just dont think they liked anyone telling them to do anything differently. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry they were upset, but would say exactly the same thing next time.

I agree completely; one the central purposes of the forum is good advice given in good faith in a spirit of helping.

That's exactly what you did here, what happens after that is up to the people who sought advice.

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 08:31:36 am »
Liking all the replies guys...
and I would agree with most..
you learn by your mistakes and how people take tham is up to them

HOWEVER there are some pretty Bitchy posts made and we have lost great members.. ie Bamford 6 because people sometimes do not realise that even tho its typed it hurts and upsets just as much. Not intended indeed and some of us are a wee bit tougher than others..

Ah Rant over for Sunday morning... :wave:

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 04:00:14 pm »
it would not matter what contents are replied, some folk do take the hump and TBH, is there really any nice  way to tell someone that they are doing things wrong. yes we do all learn by our mistakes but should not spit oot the dummy when they are miffed to read the truth about the question that they have asked  :farmer: :farmer:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 09:20:54 am »
Well, there are nicer and less nice ways to give criticism.  I was always taught to say something nice, then the criticism, then another nice thing.  That shows the recipient that you don't think they are all bad. 

Plus, in this instance, while I accept that it was necessary to tell these owners that pigs are herd animals and shouldn't be kept on their own, I do not think it is necessary nor acceptable to tell them that their beloved pet and all creatures like it are the spawn of the Devil and should be dispatched forthwith!  That's just plain rude.

I am glad we are all different, it makes this a very interesting and stimulating place to be!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 12:33:46 pm »
Like the others have quoted company is essential for pigs as they are social animals so a companion is best as they do all snuggle up together, also when the weather gets really cold perhaps a heat lamp for them to snuggle under worth thinking about.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS