Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping Micro Pig Warm this Winter  (Read 11272 times)

GinaandTiny

Keeping Micro Pig Warm this Winter
« on: September 06, 2011, 10:08:59 am »
Hi, I have a one and half year old micro pig, she lives in a paddock outside next to our house and now it seems autumn is here I'm wondering if anyone could tell me where I could get her a coat/rug from? I've searched and can't find anyone who makes micro pig rugs...surely there's someone? She has horse bedding and lots of straw in her ark which also has a door and can adjust windows but she hates the rain and gets chilly, tried a dof coat but wrong shape for her. Can anyone help?
G

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Keeping Micro Pig Warm this Winter
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 10:47:18 am »
The best thing would be a friend to snuggle up to as pigs are very companionable and shouldn't really be kept on their own. To keep her warm ensure she has a sacking or another suitable breathable material door which you can drop at night to keep the draughts out of her house, she needs some air flow to prevent pneumonia. Would also suggest a large dog coat perhaps, you might have to extend the ties, generally we find our ordinary pigs hate being covered and would eat any rug or cover put over them, she should develop a winter coat of her own which will help her keep warm. I don't know anyone who would make a coat you could try yourself using a beach towel or old large quilted shirt (we've done this for greyhoumds before). Micro pigs aren't generally kept by smallholders as they're non productive.
HTh
Mandy  :pig:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 11:56:03 am »
The pig shouldn't be cold with appropriate shelter and bedding as Fowgill Farm say. This is the side issue tho (as they also point out!) - This pig should have piggie company, it is cruel to keep a single pig by itself.

RSPCA animal welfare code. (highlighted no 4).
1. Freedom from Hunger and Thirst - by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
2. Freedom from Discomfort - by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
3. Freedom from Pain, Injury or Disease - by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
4. Freedom to Express Normal Behaviour - by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal's own kind.
5. Freedom from Fear and Distress - by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.

Please please get her some company of another pig. She will probably be warmer and she will certainly have a better and more species appropriate life.

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 01:58:57 pm »
Pre-heated oven at gas mark 5 ought to do it  :D
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 02:03:20 pm »
LMFAO  ;)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 02:13:16 pm »
Perhaps you could get a couple of Kune-Kune to cuddle with her and keep her warm and provide much-needed piggy company. They are the easiest of pigs to keep and will make you smile every day. :)

GinaandTiny

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 08:58:16 pm »
hm, I appreciate a micro pig is a non profit and so not a small holders general stock item, I do have a small holding though hence being on the site, hoping to find helpful people to discuss things with. I do not appreciate being preached to about RSPCA welfare code I find it offensive to even suggest this as you have no idea what my situation is lachlanandmarcus. I appreciate everyone elses comments trying to help but the other users comments have put me off ever using this site again.

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 09:04:03 pm »
it is a good job i never posted a comment about your small pig you would realy have been upset :o :farmer:

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 10:13:06 pm »
Lol Robert :) Fad pets sadly ........ i'm new and even i knew that pigs are social animals.  Look Gina i'm new to pig keeping and i asked advice.  Sadly "micro" pigs are runts that are bred and most of them have health issues and genetic flaws.  I'm not perfect and i've had my knuckles wrapped on here (and so i should) everybody learns by their own mistakes.  S**t happens get up dust yourself off and deal with it. 

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 10:32:24 pm »
I do not appreciate being preached to about RSPCA welfare code I find it offensive to even suggest this. .
Well, whether you find it offensive or not, that's how it is. Pigs are herd animals and you are being irresponsible in subjecting one to living on its own. It sounds like the best thing you could do is give this lone pig to someone else who will take better care of it. Pigs don't need coats - just company.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 11:54:18 pm »
Im quite offended  :o that someone should think that posting the welfare code should be deemed offensive to them  ::)....I thought since OP was keeping a social herd animal by itself they were maybe not aware of the code's content. It isn't personal preaching, it's the minimum basic requirements in this country for keeping animals appropriately.

I wont say anymore....  :)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 01:51:26 pm »
I have a feeling( she whispers) that some folk only post on forums to pick an argument. I MAY BE WRONG!! :-\ :-\

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 02:38:19 pm »
Well, nice to know somebody else can do the upsetting  ;D

They have closed their account and gone. Strange folk.

I thought all the responses were fine. I almost wish Robert had got on earlier  ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 02:44:32 pm »
so deep down you like me      just image if you could put that debate we had with the director of the rhs on here ;) :farmer: ;)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 03:21:19 pm »
Whilst I agree there was nothing wrong with what anyone said...  I have been thinking about this and do think it is a shame that we weren't able to find a more constructive way to handle this couple and their pig.

From their point of view it must've looked a bit like this:

Oh, our pet pig is cold, where can we get some advice?  This Accidental Smallholder forum looks like it's full of knowledgeable friendly people, let's ask them.

Whereupon they are inundated with posts telling them their pig is an unhealthy runt and should be cooked, and they are cruel and shouldn't be keeping the pig.  (Remember I'm telling this as I think it would have looked from their point of view - humans are really quite sensitive to criticism, I find.  One critical post will weigh more than two or three constructive ones.)

I'm not surprised they left.  Whilst perhaps we don't want to find ourselves in a community of pet micro pig owners, I do think we're more likely to educate more and change more minds with constructive inclusiveness than overt criticism.  I thought Mandy's post hit exactly the right note.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS