Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What courses do I need to sell jam to our local shop?  (Read 4951 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
What courses do I need to sell jam to our local shop?
« on: September 03, 2011, 09:30:40 pm »
I asked at our local produce store whether they would be interested in having some of my plum jam to sell.

They asked if I had a food hygiene certificate and said that I could do an online course and then somebody would visit the premises.

Is this so?

I can see online courses but do they need to be accredited with any organisation?

How do I get the ball rolling?

Any suggestions/advice welcomed.

THanks
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: What courses do I need to sell jam to our local shop?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 02:58:09 am »
It's worth checking with your local Council.  Ours do a Food Hygiene Course, it's just one day and didn't cost much for us to do.

Your local Environmental Health/Trading Standards will come out to visit your premises.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 09:10:26 am »
Our Environmental Health department do a one day Elementary Food Hygiene Certificate course, accredited by the Royal Environmental Health Institute of Scotland. It is very basic and there is a short multiple choice exam at the end. The exam / Certificate is not an end in itself but most foor producers and caterers use it as an example of due diligence. Of course, if you don't practice what you learn on the course, the Certificate won't stop you giving somene food poisoning or protect you from prosecution.

Trading Standards will advise on packaging and labelling.

Environmental Health will probably want to inspect the premises - you will have to register with them as a food business. Jam's not a high risk food but you will have to demonstrate that the food will be clean and free from contamination.

Most EHOs and Trading Standards officers are helpful and, while ensuring that the public is protected, are aware of the need to support small businesses.

violet

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 05:39:34 pm »
EHO's are usually pretty good and will give you plenty of time to sort things out. Usually they just want to help - my experience has always been positive.
But I think I'm right in saying that you will probably need a double sink or a single sink & dishwasher. You will also need somewhere seperate to wash your hands. A portable basin will probably do if it's too much of an obstacle course to get to the bathroom.
I think that the rest is common sense. Though they might expect you to have equipment that is specifically designated for making jam as there should be a degree of seperation between domestic use and your business use. How much this is depends on your individual business and, as was mentioned earlier, this is low risk so don't worry - you'll be fine. Good Luck  :)  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS