Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Laminitis  (Read 11837 times)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Laminitis
« on: September 03, 2011, 06:02:49 pm »
I have a 3 year old sow who has gone off her front feet.  The vet isn't sure what it is, metacam and antibiotics given. 

A local farmer has suggested laminitis.  I've been doing a bit of research to find out more.

Anyone on here had any experience of laminitis in pigs?  I'm thinking the worse, but hoping that someone might have some good news to pass on please.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: Laminitis
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 03:06:09 am »
Still didn't manage to get Bluebell up by bedtime, so covered her in straw and put a gazebo over us to keep the rain off.

Just popped in for a cuppa.

Really hope there is some change by morning.........All my pigs are special, but Bluebell was my first breeding girl, so extra special  :love: :pig: :love:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 08:53:31 am »
Julie I know nothing to help at all but do send you and Bluebell my good wishes and hope she feels better soon  :bouquet:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 01:11:25 pm »
Julie
Go to the GOS website and look under health queries tab, somewhere may have to scroll pages there is a subject Laminitis and i seem to remember it being something to dowith feed.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 01:18:01 pm »
Many thanks Mandy.  I have already read that thread and some good info on there. 

I moved Bluebell into a new pen last week, plenty of new grass, which is what we think  may be causing it.  She's never had a problem with lots of grass before, but always a first with these things.

Just waiting for the vet to arrive as she is still off her feet.

Many thanks for your thoughts Sally.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 02:42:36 pm »
Hi Julie
Has the vet ruled out Mycoplasma arthritis, this only responds to certain anti biotics Lincomysin and Tiamulin. Hope you get her sorted out.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 03:35:02 pm »
my thoughts the same as Berkshire Boy (erysepelas)?

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 06:25:14 pm »
Many thanks for you ideas.  I appreciate it very much.

The vet has visited again and taking everything in account that has happened today it isn't laminitis.

The feeling is now that it is unfortunately a spinal abscess.  We've managed to lift her onto a wonderful, cosy straw bed, under a gazebo, looking like the Queen of Sheba overseeing all that is going on.  She is comfortable and eating well - so just a case of keeping a close eye on her, give her the drugs, and make sure she doesn't get any sores from lying down.

I wonder if she will share her gazebo with me tonight....or will I be relegated to the arc again????

Please keep her in your thoughts  :love: :pig: :love:

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 07:17:55 pm »
I hope she's better for you. I never knew pigs had laminitis, I've got 2 ponies that are prone to it, and thought it was just equines who had it :-[

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 09:58:51 am »
Big hugs and good thought sto you both, hope she pulls through.
Mandy x  :pig:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 11:22:21 am »
Thank you white-blazes and Mandy.

She's still off her feet.  We keep turning her so she doesn't develop sores.  She's still 'herself', feeding and drinking well, and telling anyone else exactly what she thinks of them!!

I've been massaging her legs with some Aloe Heat Lotion, which she loves and I think there is a glimmer of something happening.  She will be on her 3rd dose of Duphamore this afternoon, so hopefully will see some improvement soon.

Our farmer neighbour has been helping me turn her every few hours,  and this afternoon we are going to rig up a sling to gently lift her up and into a standing position and see if we can get her to take some of her weight on her legs. 

Here's hoping.  Many thanks for the Reiki Karen - you are amazing  :)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 12:40:17 pm »
You are amazing too Julie. The time & effort in making her better is a credit to you.
Most people would have sent this animal to her maker by now.
Good luck with your sling, hope the weather improves too.
bestest mandy  :pig:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 01:14:11 pm »
Thank you Mandy.  All the time she is well in herself I will do everything I can for her......I'm realistic though and will know if/when it is not wise to continue.

:love: :pig: :love:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 07:09:30 pm »
The latest on Bluebell.   

No sign of leg movement today, so I fashioned a sling out of an old builders bag lined with a blanket and with the farmer's help we got it underneath her and gently lifted her with the handler into an upright position.  She didn't seem to mind too much, and some slight movement in her front legs, but none in her back legs.

Kept her there for a few minutes so that she could get her bearings and for her to have a go at my husband........her favourite past time!!

No sign of her taking her own weight, so took the opportunity to carry her indoors, so she is cuddled up on straw in a much better place for her.   When we laid her back down again there was a slight movement in her back legs.

So still some hope.  We'll see what kind of night she has tonight and how she is in the morning.

:love: :pig: :love:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 09:31:05 am »
Hi Julie,
How is Bluebell doing ?
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS