Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what to do with a 2yr old sow  (Read 3313 times)

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
what to do with a 2yr old sow
« on: September 01, 2011, 10:05:26 pm »
Hi folks sorry to burden you with my post but im in a bit of a dilema.Myself and a "mate" brought 2 gilts that where then (Apil) 18 months old,both had been running with the boar and farrowed on the same day 9th june,the piglets where weaned off at 5 weeks old.Since the weaning both sows have come in season twice and are in good condition.Now the dilema the so called mate has told me today that the landowner doesent want pigs on the land after the piglets have gone for slaughter,i know this is bullshit and "mate" wants to go alone.The thing is i cant find any other land to rent in order to keep my sow and 1 of the weaners for company,i dont want the sow to go to slaughter as she is too good,and been a fantastic mother failing selling her would she if push came to shove be to old for pork,i have thought about sausage and bacon but theres only me and the mrs so we wouldnt eat it all,any suggestions thanks.Paul
edited on the good advice of tizaala,im in Burton on Trent.If anyone is able to help,many thanks to other members for your imput.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 10:57:32 am by happy larry »

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: what to do with a 2yr old sow
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 10:17:06 pm »
If you can't find land to keep them on then you only really have 2 options .......1 = slaughter and 2 = rehoming/selling. 

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 10:42:43 pm »
Paul, sad to hear of your dilema, hope something comes up for you soon.
Just in case, she'll taste lovely tho (folks often say the best meat is from a 1st time sow) If you're concerned about "waste" beg/steal/borrow a sausage machine - the whole pig can be sausaged, you'll be amazed how many "friends & family" crop up to purchase some lovely, free range products, think amazing chops, honey glazed ham  :yum:  If you've got any left, it'll freeze for up to 6-months (if  ;) )

BTW - 18-months is quite an age to go to the boar for the first time & I also don't wean mine until they are at least 8 weeks old.

Try ads in your local feed merchants, farming paper, free ads etc for a bit of land - you could offer an environmentally "land clearance" service  ;D  Maybe someone on here can help?

Good luck, hope it goes well for you.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 07:58:43 am »
Pity we are in another country (France) - we have lots of land.  We currently have two Berkshire gilts (off with boar at the moment) and three GOS and looking for a Patrick boar.  Is it worth putting an advert in say your local post office to see if any pig fanciers can help you out.  If she has been a good mum it would be a shame to slaughter her but I agree with others that she will no doubt make good meat.  Hope you can source somewhere soon.  Good luck.  Jan

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 09:22:49 am »
It might help you to post where you are located then someone on here might be local to you and be able to help you out.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 06:45:47 pm »
They're in Burton on Trent
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 10:06:44 pm »
Thanks for all the replys folks,just thought i would update.Fortunateley i have managed to find a place to take my sow and weaners and its nearer to my home ;D,does anyone have a couple of small gates say 4ft surplus to requirments that i could buy.I will be posting a thread in market place.Paul

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 09:36:06 am »
In an emergency, Paul, I used a sheep hurdle securely tied to the gate-posts to keep a couple of porkers in and it kept them where they were supposed to be. I'm glad things have worked out well for you :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS