Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Trees as fence posts  (Read 9010 times)

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
Trees as fence posts
« on: September 01, 2011, 02:59:24 pm »
Is it Ok to use a tree as a straining post or intermediate fence post?
Simon

HappyHippy

Re: Trees as fence posts
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 04:23:29 pm »
I wouldn't wrap wire round them. We've been cutting up fallen trees lately and almost trashed the chainsaw with a piece of embedded wire, it had obviously been wrapped round it at some point and the tree had grown round it. I'm not sure how well staples would catch on the bark and you've also got the issue of wire straining against the bark and possibly cutting into the tree.  :-\
What about running in electric fencing ? It'll be much easier than trying to knock fence posts in through all the tree roots (talking from experience here  ;))
Karen

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 04:42:16 pm »
Is it Ok to use a tree as a straining post or intermediate fence post?
Simon

Not really, unless there is no alternative.  Staples will damage the tree, wire will cut into it as it grows, possibly causing damage.  Both, as Karen says, can cause further damage when the wood is sawn up later.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 05:24:12 pm »
any proffesional chainsaw person will not saw the trunk of a tree if there is the chance of wire embeded in the trunk
it is more proffesionl looking to use posts as strainers and turners   yes it is easier to use trees but what if the tree falls over and you can damage the tree with staples :farmer:

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 06:43:59 am »
We have a sycamore tree, that v's quite low down (it's one of a group of 12). It appears in pictures of our property dated 1969.... We also found some history on the house suggesting the trees were planted in 1845. The last owners used it as a corner strainer post and the wire has embedded very deep and killed half the tree (one of the v's).... as it's close to the house the tree surgeon we use has recommended it be cut down as once dead, sycamore can become quite brittle. Quite sad after it being there for so long!  >:(
Metal Detectorist

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 07:54:30 am »
Good points all thanks - I was thinking I might avoid a little work putting in strainers when trees in a good position but it looks as if it will be worth it to put the posts in - proportionate to the whole job it is not much different. (It seems to me likely that both tree and fence will outlive us but not good to pass on a problem to future generations!) Electric through the woodland section might be a thought as if the animals got through it would still leave them on our land. On the other area I was thinking of I want to have electric backed by stock fencing as this is where I hope to put pigs and is a place where escape from the enclosure could result in getting out of our land.
Thank you
Simon

Micko

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 08:58:27 pm »
Simon.....read this with great interest. We keep our pigs in our birch wood and had one of those moments when digging and digging for a straining post. Got the post in when my son said...why not use the tree instead. Me and the Mrs looked at each other and laughed! Canny enough idea and haven't looked back since!

The birch wood is reasonably dense and would no doubt benefit from some selective thinning anyway but having said that we're trying hard to make a living out of free range pork and any saving in cost of posts and time to install is champion as far as I'm concerned.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS