Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear Tagging Prior to Slaughter  (Read 3790 times)

otto

• Joined May 2009
  • Suffolk
Ear Tagging Prior to Slaughter
« on: August 30, 2011, 06:22:45 pm »
Hi all, can anyone advise? All my wieners in the past have had no ear markings and I have tagged them with brass ear tags a few days before slaughter. My present batch of GOS boars were marked with the heavy duty yellow plastic style of tag which are "plugged" into the middle of the ear flap. The numbers are clearly shown on the initial paperwork and are still readable on the pigs' ears.

Am I obliged to tag them again with my small holding number or can I just use the exisiting ID on the paperwork?

Qualified advice appreciated :)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Ear Tagging Prior to Slaughter
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 06:33:21 pm »
Your pigs' tags should be fine - just check with your abbatoir that they will accept them, as some of the process may melt the plastic tags.  The abbatoir I use is ok with them.  If they will accept them, just use the ID's on the tags for the paperwork, if not you will need to disregard it & use only the ID's on your metal ones.
 :pig:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 07:14:15 pm »
Previous response listed underneath which covers all the regs etc.

In England you come under the Pigs Records, Identification and Movement Order 2007, known as PRIMO 2007
In Wales you come under The Pigs (Records, Identification and Movement) (Wales) Order 2008 (PRIMO 2008)
In Scotland you come under The Pigs (Records, Identification and Movement) Order 1995 (PRIMO 1995)
In England and Wales, a pig moving to slaughter comes under part 3 regulation 7 which states
7.—(1) No person may move a pig off a holding unless it has—
(a)an ear tag with the letters “UK” followed by the herdmark of the holding from which it is being moved; or.
(b)a tattoo showing that herdmark (with or without the letters “UK”).
Regulation 6(c) states that
(2) A tattoo must be applied either by tattoo forceps, in which case it must be on an ear, or by slap-marking equipment, in which case it must be on each shoulder.
There is an exemption which allows temporary paint marks for under 1 year old, but not to slaughter.
In Scotland, the 1995 regulation states under regulation 5
(3) It shall not be lawful to move a pig between holdings in Great Britain unless before the movement commences it is marked either—
(a)with an identification mark which complies with the preceding paragraphs,[eartag or tattoo] or
(b)with an identification mark which will last at least until the pig reaches its destination and which, either by itself or by reference to a document accompanying the pig during the movement, enables the holding from which the pig was last moved to be identified.
So under English and Welsh legislation, a pig going to slaughter must carry a eartag, tattoo or slapmark of the holding that is sending it.
Under Scottish legislation it can go to slaughter on a temporary paint mark, or a tag, tattoo or slapmark. For tag,  or tatto, this can be one applied by the breeder, any intermediate owner who has tagged or tattoo it, or the holding from which it is being sent
The previous England and Wales legislation (PRIMO 2003) stated under regulation 14
 No person shall move a pig over 12 months old off a holding unless it is marked with—
(a)an identification mark; or
(b)a slapmark that is legible for the life of the pig and throughout the processing of its carcase.
This meant that if it had been tagged, it didn't need tagging again.
Many officials, breeders and farmers are unaware of the change between PRIMO 2003 and 2007, so some breeders will still tag.
OK so that’s the legal side.
On top of this, abattoirs can set their requirements.  I know of none in England that will accept a pig with an ear tattoo, most accept a single tag, or double slapmark.  Some only accept a slapmark (as they can easily identify a live pig without having to get hold of their ears).
In Scotland, I am told that some accept a temporary paintmark, but again many insist on slapmarks or eartags, so that they can easily identify the pigs as they go through then process.  If your abattoir in Scotland does accept paint marks, it is still probably better to tag or tattoo, so you can get traceability.
UK wide, the abattoir does not care one hoot what the number on the tag is, as long as it matches the paperwork – they have no responsibility for tagging or slapmarking, so as long as there is one they don’t care.
So if in England you buy a pig from a breeder and they tag it with their holding no. and you send this into the abattoir without adding you own, the abattoir will not mind, and the likelihood is that it will pass through with no problems.  Since the AML2 accompanying it will be used to identify the sender if there is a problem, it is highly doubtful whether anyone would ever check that the herd no. matches the holding no. unless the paperwork gets lost, in which case they would go back to the breeder, who might have no idea who sent a pig in.  If the breeder tags, and then the sender also tags, this just adds confusion at the abattoir, as they have to check two tags, so preferably buy your weaners without a tag, and add yours or slapmark.  If the breeder has tagged, it is better to slapmark, as most abattoirs will see this and use it.  By the by it is illegal to remove a tag previously applied !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 07:22:21 pm »
You've got to have them identified with your herd number when they go to slaughter and it has to be able to withstand the processing. You can use either a slapmark or steel slaughter tags stamped with your herd number (these are the 2 accepted forms of slaughter ID). Your plastic tags might withstand the process, but if they don't there's not much chance of being certain it's your pigs you get back.

Just to clear up what Oaklands said about temporary paint marks (think the cross border translation has misfired  ;) ;D) In Scotland, pigs under a year can move between holdings on a temporary mark but for slaughter they have to be ID'd as above.
HTH
Karen

otto

• Joined May 2009
  • Suffolk
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 08:14:30 am »
Thank you all. As usual this forum has proven a fantastic resource!

I will check with the abattoir by sending a photo of the tags just to avoid any problems at 6am on a Monday morning! :)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 08:39:11 am »

Just to clear up what Oaklands said about temporary paint marks (think the cross border translation has misfired  ;) ;D) In Scotland, pigs under a year can move between holdings on a temporary mark but for slaughter they have to be ID'd as above.
HTH
Karen
HH, Think I am correct, but happy to accept further input.  Legally in Scotland they can move to slaughter on a paint mark, and indeed some previous posts on this forum have said that their particular abattoir accepts on paint marks, but as I stated above, each abattoir can impose further reqs and most require tag or slapmark.  please come back if you think that is incorrect, as I am keen to get this bit right.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 08:47:34 am »
Hmmm, still a bit early to have my legal head on  ::) ;D
But I'm fairly certain for traceability it's got to be 'accepted' ID, neither of the 2 abattoir's I've used would accept a paint mark for slaughter - I'll double check & get back to you Robin  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 12:01:24 pm »
if your abattoir accepts a paint mark that is alright in Scotland(if you are well known by the staff traceability is not a problem)   also plastic tags can and do survive the scolding tank all the pigs we have sent to piggy heaven have come back with there tags and they were hand written ones as well but also backed up with tattoos or notches :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS