Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Backgarden weaners  (Read 2815 times)

Boonoff

• Joined Aug 2011
Backgarden weaners
« on: August 28, 2011, 04:33:03 pm »
Does anybody know how I find out if I'm legally allowed to keep pigs in my backgarden? Does it say on my deeds and if so were do I get the deeds from  :-\

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Backgarden weaners
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 04:42:58 pm »
If you don't have a copy of the deeds, ask the land registery. You'll need to talk to Defra for holding / herd numbers etc

But much more importantly: what is your garden like? Size, location, neighbours, etc?

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 04:43:14 pm »
depends on the size of your garden      also do you own the house or rent it           what about your neighbours will they be all right with smelly noisey pigs         you need a cph  number and a herd number from defra and a movement book medicine book     and a little bit more than i want one   sorry you need two for company :farmer:

Boonoff

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 05:28:24 pm »
Thanks for the replys guys, the neighbours seem ok although I haven't mentioned pigs to them yet. Also I would speak to the neighbours after checking the deeds and speaking with DEFRA. The space would be 25' x 25' how does that sound??? It's not sumthing I would take on lightly, just after keeping chickens at a different address  for a good few years for dual purpose I wanted to take the next step and raise my own 2 weaners for the spit. I would raise them during the winter to keep the smells to a minimum hopefully. the pigs welfare will be my first priority and if enough educated people say it isn't a good idea or can't be done then it won't be. Thanks again and any more info will be taken onboard.  :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 07:18:15 pm »
If the space is 25 meters by 25 meters you've got enough space for 2 pigs (if it's feet - it's not)
I personally wouldn't do it through the winter as your ground will be more damaged and take much longer to recover, also the pigs will spend most of the time up to their bellies in mud - not great for them when it's cold  :-\
So, I'd definately wait til the springtime to get them and that gives you plenty of time to plan and learn (and do fencing  ;))
HTH
Karen  :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 08:40:16 pm »
The space would be 25' x 25'
  That's the sign for FEET Karen. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 09:15:28 pm »
The space would be 25' x 25'
  That's the sign for FEET Karen. ;D
Ooops  :-[ In my defence I learned everything in metric (I'm too young for feet & inches  ;))
25 ft x 25ft is definately too small for weaners, it's equivalent of 58 square meters - less than half what I'd go for as a minimum for a couple of pigs from 8 weeks to 24 weeks (approx).
The only possible way round it might be to buy pigs at say 16 weeks and send them off a couple of months later at pork weight but it would depend on how much eating there was in the pen. I find that once they've churned everything up, if they can't get fresh ground they begin to get bored and go looking for adventure in the big wide world on the other side of their fences  :o

Boonoff

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 09:59:52 pm »
Seems like I don't have anywhere near enough space  :( which is very disappointing. Thanks for the replys tho guys.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS