Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how long does it take to eat a pig  (Read 3312 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
how long does it take to eat a pig
« on: August 27, 2011, 08:32:38 pm »
how long does it take to eat a good weight kk, not such a daft question as i want to plan the next lot, .... so if it takes 3 months ??? for 2 people that love sausages and bacon and everything else to eat a pig it follows that if i have 2 pigs i need to get new piglets in when this current lot are 6 months old so there is constant supply. if i wait till this lot are meat, it will take almost a year to raise the next lot so there will be a long gap with no pork. (there is only so much space in the freezer)...

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: how long does it take to eat a pig
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 08:37:59 pm »
Urm i'm not the best one to comment on this as i've a freezer full of chops, joints, shoulders, ribs and belly pork.  The bigger they are the more things you get from them .... i was shocked at how many chops we got for 3 bigger females !!!!! Didn't have sausages made as i want to have a go myself at making them (eventually) and i didn't ask for bacon as i had noooooooooooo idea that my pigs would be big enough to get chops from let alone bacon.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 08:44:39 pm »
how big to kks have to be to get bacon

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 09:18:57 pm »
Happyhippy will be the best one to answer this one ... sorry can't help really.  I do know that the bacon from KK's are small but ppl say they are really tasty  :pig:

chickenfeed

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 09:30:06 pm »
you can make bacon from any size pig, obviously the smaller the chop the smaller your back rasher will be, just to get a idea look at your belly slab & chops would you be happy with that size of rasher on your plate ? i have seen kk bacon very small and very tasty.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 10:16:42 pm »
We've only made bacon from 1 of our KKs & he was live-weight 108kgs killing-out at 82kgs & the size definately compared with the stuff in the supermarket - only much, MUCH better  :yum:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 11:10:23 pm »
We seem to be eating ours at the rate of about 2 80kg deadweight pigs per annum for two of us plus I give a lot away (maybe a fifth of the total) to friends and family.  I note to myself that each of us is therefore eating about a third of our calorific requirements from pork... which would be fine if we didn't also eat our own lamb, beef, butter, cheese, eggs, ... no wonder I am having difficulty getting my weight back down to [something nearer to] where it should be!

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 01:20:44 pm »
There's nothing wrong with being cuddly Sally  ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 10:55:49 pm »
There's nothing wrong with being cuddly Sally  ;)

Just as well I've got a man with long arms!   ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS