Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Biting pigs  (Read 5755 times)

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
Biting pigs
« on: August 26, 2011, 03:13:38 pm »
My boyfriend and I have recently acquired 2 pet kune kune castrates. They are just over 5 months old. We are struggling with their boisterousness in their eagerness for food. We have only had them for about 10 days and their behaviour has taken a noticeable turn for the worse. They have started biting us and chewing our clothes. They chewed wellies when we first got them, but not skin! One of them has given me a rather painful, swollen bruise on my leg. I was pushing him away from rooting in my pocket so he bit me - hard! What are we doing wrong? Any advice to stop this would be much appreciated. We are not going to be able to cope with this behaviour when they are fully grown!

We were feeding them from our hands but thought this might have been the cause of the problem, so are now putting their food on the floor. We don't give them treats very often and will visit them several times a day without giving them anything to eat, so they shouldn't be expecting it every time they see us. They are otherwise very friendly, rolling over for tummy scratches etc.

Nicola

robert waddell

Re: Biting pigs
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 04:15:06 pm »
the first thing is they are pigs if they were mine they would be smacked on the snout    it is only a matter of time before they will do real harm to you

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 04:36:23 pm »
Yes, do react immediately when they bite - it may sound harsh but they are animals and you need to be in charge and train them straight away (it doesn't have to be very hard, we're not suggesting you beat them). They've become more confident and at ease with you in the 10 days that you've had them, and if trained well they'll be fine. It'll take time but do start now.

They'll be enthusiastic for food for a long time, you're right not to feed them from your hand as they won't understand that there are fingers underneath the food, they don't have fingers, after all.  ;) Their teeth are sharp and their jaws are very strong. Plus if you put their food down your may be able to train them to each have their own bowl when feeding so that they'll fight less over that same little crumb of food if their food is on one pile.

:wave:

calamityjane

• Joined Aug 2011
  • sauchie
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 04:45:47 pm »
i found that when my pigs were going to bite the back of my legs i just lifted my foot and they stopped after awhile give them a small smack they are like children and need to learn not to bite they do love attention tho i have 6 pigs and love them they will still love you even if you give them a small smack on the snout

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 08:31:12 pm »
and make a "squeal" noise, just like a pig would when its bitten (I imagine you probably do! I know how much it hurts!)
But then you see, they'll recognise that you don't like it, kind of in their own language.
Little Blue

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 08:37:09 pm »
i kept ferrets and you havent been bitten untill a ferret locks onto your hand..... but as youngsters a good hard flick to the nose soons trains them....... i suspect it would work with a pig

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 09:01:41 pm »
Thanks everybody, I have to admit that I did actually kick him when he bit me, intstant reaction, it bloody hurt! They are built so solidly though (and I far from it), that I can't imagine it hurt him one bit.  I read elsewhere that you should rap them on the snout with a stick, so I think I shall give that a go. Though they seem completely unphased by everything, even the neighbours dogs barking in their faces. They were much better behaved this evening, no biting at all, so hopefully things will improve quickly.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 09:04:13 pm »
be careful if you are hand feeding - that's when I've been bitten!

Little Blue

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 09:30:58 pm »
Not had much exp with pigs on the whole but i have to say that i cracked my boar on the snout when he started biting my feet.  He soon learned once his nose was throbbing after me belting him lol

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 11:03:41 pm »
Don't use a stick, Nic99, you won't always have it on you and you may end up hitting far too hard. They should respect you, not fear you. If they fear you, their behaviour will change in other ways due to stress.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 11:41:25 am »
I agree you need to be dominant and in control a sharp slap on the snout with a higher pitch 'no' has worked for our girls. We still get a nip now and again if we aren't paying attention but that is our fault and not the pigs but they do get wrong for the action. I have found that toys seem to wear them out during the day and the evening feed is calmer. They love an upturned wooden crate with food hidden in it and a horse toy that we stuff food in so that they have to work for it and then they just throw the ball around after the food is gone.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS