Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune Kune pigs  (Read 6533 times)

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
Kune Kune pigs
« on: August 22, 2011, 09:09:31 pm »
Today we went to visit a petting farm to see the alpacas,llamas and camels,they also had some kune kune pigs and i was gobsmacked at the fencing,there were 5 in a pen of at a guess 25x25 meters not a sitch of grass,stock fenced with a lower board around the bottom and at the back near there shelter a gap of 1/2 a foot off the ground,no electric,we have had pigs in the past and the first pigs we had a tamworth and a saddleback were a joy to own,next we had some GOS what a nightmare even with eletric they were always getting out so in the end they went early and my OH has never let me have pigs again but i have been looking at the Kune Kune for while as i read they eat the grass rather than churn it up,i really couldnt believe that they mangaed to keep them in with this sort of fencing,if i do get my way what is a good size area for 2 Kune Kune.

Thanks

HappyHippy

Re: Kune Kune pigs
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 01:13:03 am »
I'd say about half an acre minimum, so around 50m x 50m for 2 Kune Kunes, but it pays to have more so you can split it and rotate them between the two.
Although Kunes aren't as prone to rooting as other, longer nosed pigs, they do still do it a bit (and some I've seen do it a lot !) Most of mine graze fine, but every now and then they copy the Tamworths  ::)
HTH
Karen  :wave:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 08:54:53 pm »
IME NEW TO PIGS BUT MY 8 week old kks have turned the grass ground over  now it looks like its been dug and raked which is what i wanted but the grass has been turned over so i have yet to see mine graze

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 09:33:25 pm »
my kunes love to root, they eat grass but seem to prefer it long and handed to them!

we dont have leccy fences but have had to higher the fencing (wood pallets & stock wire) after the girls accidently discover they could belly-flop over it!

I've heard that young kunes root more & should grow out of it Harry, but don't hold your breath! ;)
Little Blue

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 10:11:41 pm »
I find that mine don't root much if they are on the field, the occassional interesting patch or 2.  But if they're in a small paddock at home they will root, more so if they're feed is spread on the ground.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 11:37:48 pm »
My two do not have electric fencing - just stock fencing, with pig netting on their side, and wooden rails around the bottom.  They did manage to dig a hole under the rails - a big one - but did not get out.  Although the llama has jumped over and stood with them a few times, but the lack of grass did not impress him, so he jumped out again.

They have rooted all the grass up, and a lot of stones too.  I feed them grass, which they love.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 12:40:12 am »
This is not about Kune Kune pigs, but I just had to share it.

I have just been told a true story about a sow that kept getting out of her electrically fenced paddock and the owner couldn't work out how she was doing it.  Then one day he saw what she did.  She waited until one of the other sows was near to the electric fence, then rammed her at right angles.  The pummelled sow fell across the fence, grounding it, whereupon escaping pig just climbed over the KO'd pig to freedom.

:pig: :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 07:46:42 am »
Pigs are fourth on the intelligence scale after humans, monkeys and dolphins, it's amazing what they can figure out  ::) ;D ;D ;D

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 09:48:53 am »
 ;D  I  hope my two do not start using each other as a climbing frame to escape!!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 09:06:25 pm »
;D  I  hope my two do not start using each other as a climbing frame to escape!!

That'll definately warrant a photo  ;) ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 07:25:43 pm »
One of mine shunts the other at the electric wire to see if it is turned on! If off she happily grazes the grass under the line, if the other lets out a squeal she leaves well alone. Smart stuff.
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS