Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Implements for compact tractors?  (Read 8923 times)

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
Implements for compact tractors?
« on: August 21, 2011, 09:13:21 pm »
Being new to owning a smallholding, I've had a look on-line trying to find a list of implements that are available/suitable for use with compact tractors.... but ideally that explain their use as well?
Does anyone have a list like this or could they point me in the right direction of any online list?

Thanks in advance
Metal Detectorist

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
Re: Implements for compact tractors?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 08:24:17 am »
There is a video on the Goldoni site you might find interesting and which shows several different implements being used.  But although there is a tool for just about every task sometimes it pays to think a little laterally so in some ways it is better to define the task you want to perform and then work out which implement would do the job for you in your particular circumstances.  By way of example if you have a smallish section of track that needs levelling the ideal would probably be a digger and a leveller/grader.   But the right transport box followed perhaps by a chain harrow will often do the same job (provided you don't mind your transport box looking a little battered).  There are a mass of different mowers but a topper will do most of the jobs you want, for the tough stuff you have a choice of a brush cutter or a flail mower.  We use a flail on some of the areas we are trying to reclaim in the autumn but rely on a topper most of the time.  Balers are evil instruments of torture so even if you want to make hay its worth seeing if you can pay someone to do the job for you.  While a few balers exist that don't break down at regular and crucial moments they are few and far between in my experience.  It is in the nature of the beast that something will break, tangle or just refuse to function at a vital moment.   A chain harrow is a must have.  Muck spreading, grass conditioning, track levelling, mole hill destruction.  Even though the one we use on the quads is a pig on the slopes here the chain harrow and topper are two things we couldn't exist without.

And while they are not implements for transforming ground you can barely walk on without turning an ankle into something beginning to approach bowling green standard you really can't beat a few sheep - but then I am biased and love my sheep.

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:26:21 am »
Found some infor for starters -

Flail MowersDesigned to pulverize grass, ferns, bramble and gorse.

Finishing MowersFinishing mowers are designed to cut a variety of grasses and other ground covers to leave a “lawn” finish. The finishing mower consists of three rotating shafts with three free-swinging steel blades attached to them + mulching decks.

Rotavators

Plough

Topper
Ideal for cutting paddocks & rough grass.

Stone Burier
Designed to prepare the perfect seed bed, this superb series of stone buriers will transform your stony uneven ground into the perfect seed bed in a matter of minutes.

Post Hole Borer
Designed to take all the effort out of fencing! 3 point linkage mounted PTO driven post-hole auger.

Chain Harrow
•   Pasture renovation; by breaking up and leveling heavy soil.
•   Root aeration; for better water infiltration and growth.
•   Works in fertilizer to both spread and maximize effectiveness.
•   Surface leveling in equestrian centres, race tracks and running tracks.
•   Simulates growth by aerating and loosening thatch
•   Seedbed preparation; harrowing worn areas prior to over seeding aerates the turf, brings up thatch and gently cultivates a seed bed.
•   Smoothes and dries paths and tracks
•   Self Cleaning

Flail Hedge Trimmer

Fertilizer spreader

Log Splitter

Transport Box

Back Hoe

Power Loader

Wood Chipper
Metal Detectorist

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:38:56 am »
There is a video on the Goldoni site you might find interesting and which shows several different implements being used.  But although there is a tool for just about every task sometimes it pays to think a little laterally so in some ways it is better to define the task you want to perform and then work out which implement would do the job for you in your particular circumstances.  By way of example if you have a smallish section of track that needs levelling the ideal would probably be a digger and a leveller/grader.   But the right transport box followed perhaps by a chain harrow will often do the same job (provided you don't mind your transport box looking a little battered).  There are a mass of different mowers but a topper will do most of the jobs you want, for the tough stuff you have a choice of a brush cutter or a flail mower.  We use a flail on some of the areas we are trying to reclaim in the autumn but rely on a topper most of the time.  Balers are evil instruments of torture so even if you want to make hay its worth seeing if you can pay someone to do the job for you.  While a few balers exist that don't break down at regular and crucial moments they are few and far between in my experience.  It is in the nature of the beast that something will break, tangle or just refuse to function at a vital moment.   A chain harrow is a must have.  Muck spreading, grass conditioning, track levelling, mole hill destruction.  Even though the one we use on the quads is a pig on the slopes here the chain harrow and topper are two things we couldn't exist without.

And while they are not implements for transforming ground you can barely walk on without turning an ankle into something beginning to approach bowling green standard you really can't beat a few sheep - but then I am biased and love my sheep.

Thanks for the info... you make some very valid points.
We very much fancied some sheep but after going and viewing some Barwen sheep that I was told were very friendly and feed bucket trained I left feeling that a sheep dog would be a must! Unfortunatley I have an allergy to dogs so until someone breeds a hairless collie I could only ever be a dogless shepherd. I suspect I will re-think the whole sheep thing once I get to know and understand more of the breeds.
Until then, the alpacas (big sheep  :) ) are a joy to lookafter.
Metal Detectorist

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 08:56:18 am »
Agree on the alpacas but bucket training for the win with sheep.  Collies need a lot of sheep to give them enough work to keep them occupied.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 11:42:01 am »
We have a Kubota 1610 and for it we have a Wessex topping mower, a Wessex finishing mower, a Kuhn rotivator, a little ATV trailer with big bouncy wheels, pair of rear forks, carrying box, sub-soiler, grass collector, spreader and chain harrow.
We have got quite a bit of stuff from the Northern Tool catalogue.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 12:03:37 pm »
We have a Kubota 1610 and for it we have a Wessex topping mower, a Wessex finishing mower, a Kuhn rotivator, a little ATV trailer with big bouncy wheels, pair of rear forks, carrying box, sub-soiler, grass collector, spreader and chain harrow.
We have got quite a bit of stuff from the Northern Tool catalogue.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

Thanks for the info Mandy
Metal Detectorist

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 04:26:11 pm »
I would add a screw type log splitter as very desirable if you burn wood at home and have trees you can use as a source of fuel. They work with a conical plug on the pto which has a screw thread cut on the cone which forces itself into the log. Here is a web site that might be of interest:-

http://www.hycrack.co.uk/log-splitter.htm

I agree that the transporter box is useful. I have a set of bars which fit onto the edge of the box extending backwards which helps you pick up stuff like brambles and tree branches. I have made a plywood box about 4ft X 3ft which rests on the bars when I want to transport bulky stuff like straw bales or bags of fertiliser.

My Goldoni tractor and the transporter box came from:-

http://www.bsgtractorsandmachinery.co.uk/

who are located at Marks Tey between Chelmsford and Colchester.

They also supplied a chain harrow and disk harrow. My land is on very light soil and the disk harrow works well for preparing seed beds or clearing weeds when the soil is damp but not when dry. But it is very heavy. The 4 ft chain harrow has been of little value until I added a 4ft length of 3inch angle iron as a weight on the back end to hold down. Adding a second 4 ft chain harrow behind the first might have a similar effect but on its own a single one doesn't seem to do much. Perhaps I am not using it right.

I also got a small pump which also fits on the pto and is prevented from rotating by a short chain clipped onto the 3 point linkage. I haven't used it but it wasn't expensive and could be handy if you want to drain a pond or set up a small irrigation system.

Good luck with your choice of equipment.
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 09:10:31 pm »
I would add a screw type log splitter as very desirable if you burn wood at home and have trees you can use as a source of fuel. They work with a conical plug on the pto which has a screw thread cut on the cone which forces itself into the log. Here is a web site that might be of interest:-

http://www.hycrack.co.uk/log-splitter.htm

I agree that the transporter box is useful. I have a set of bars which fit onto the edge of the box extending backwards which helps you pick up stuff like brambles and tree branches. I have made a plywood box about 4ft X 3ft which rests on the bars when I want to transport bulky stuff like straw bales or bags of fertiliser.

My Goldoni tractor and the transporter box came from:-

http://www.bsgtractorsandmachinery.co.uk/

who are located at Marks Tey between Chelmsford and Colchester.

They also supplied a chain harrow and disk harrow. My land is on very light soil and the disk harrow works well for preparing seed beds or clearing weeds when the soil is damp but not when dry. But it is very heavy. The 4 ft chain harrow has been of little value until I added a 4ft length of 3inch angle iron as a weight on the back end to hold down. Adding a second 4 ft chain harrow behind the first might have a similar effect but on its own a single one doesn't seem to do much. Perhaps I am not using it right.

I also got a small pump which also fits on the pto and is prevented from rotating by a short chain clipped onto the 3 point linkage. I haven't used it but it wasn't expensive and could be handy if you want to drain a pond or set up a small irrigation system.

Good luck with your choice of equipment.

Thanks for the info.... the hycrack looks very interesting!!
Metal Detectorist

waterhouse

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 11:04:46 pm »
I just sold my link box on eBay after noticing I hadn't used it for several years.  I use pallet forks instead - it's amazing what you can put on a pallet, or is delivered on one, usually by a bloke with a pallet truck that won't work on my yard though I'm sure you all have beautiful flat concrete.  I also have a supply of big bags which I fill with stuff like firewood and then store on pallets until I need one.  Just be sure to get beefy forks - I've lifted 3/4 tonne on mine

Some chain harrows are designed to have different actions depending whether they're pulled forwards, backwards or inverted. In my view it's the most versatile pasture implement

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 07:03:34 am »
I just sold my link box on eBay after noticing I hadn't used it for several years.  I use pallet forks instead - it's amazing what you can put on a pallet, or is delivered on one, usually by a bloke with a pallet truck that won't work on my yard though I'm sure you all have beautiful flat concrete.  I also have a supply of big bags which I fill with stuff like firewood and then store on pallets until I need one.  Just be sure to get beefy forks - I've lifted 3/4 tonne on mine

Some chain harrows are designed to have different actions depending whether they're pulled forwards, backwards or inverted. In my view it's the most versatile pasture implement

Funny you say that about the pallet forks.... just last night my neighbour came along with his bigger tractor with pallet forks on the back to help me move a big concrete water trough..... I can see how handy a set would be!  :)
Metal Detectorist

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS