Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Legal requirements for selling spit roast pig  (Read 9033 times)

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
    • Ellister Islay Highland Ponies
Legal requirements for selling spit roast pig
« on: August 21, 2011, 04:22:15 pm »
We are starting up a small show at our place again - just for rare breeds and natives - and want to spit roast a pig and sell it in rolls.

Looking at legal requirements online brought me out in a cold sweat  :o and cost £350  >:(  - far too complicated for my understand and too costly - not sure what was costing that much.

Can anyone advise: is it just a Hygiene Licence and a Traders Licence  I would need ?  

Jane - modified to say I'm in Scotland.

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
Re: Legal requirements for selling spit roast pig
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 04:26:40 pm »
would it not be cheaper to get a spit roast company to come and do it?   :)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 04:32:32 pm »
Right, not sure if this applies to Scotland ........ but ...... a friend of mine ran a horse show on her land and she had a small food stall set up with a bbq to cook on.  When i asked her about it she said it was ok to do as it was a private event  ???  Not sure if that is right or legal but i thought i'd share it anyway.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 05:11:55 pm »
There's a link on the butcher directory http://scottishpigs.co.uk to a guy in Aberdeen who hires out the machines Jane - might be worth contacting him to ask the in's and out's. I met him at the RHS and he was really friendly & approachable (just rememeber to tell him you saw him on SPKA  ;))
HTH
Karen  :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 10:45:51 pm »
Culross Summer Fete had one, it was the Puddledub people who did it.  You could give them a call.  The Mitchell's are lovely people - very approachable http://www.puddledub.co.uk/
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

james-b

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 08:06:24 am »
the guy in aberdeen is probably from Foveran, they run an upmarket farm shop and have a pig roast spit on a trailer from hire. I've seen it in use several times, seems pretty good

James

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 08:23:56 am »
to do the event yourself you have to have the necessary certificates food and hygiene etc etc    unless you give your roast pork rolls away there is no way round it even charging extra entry to cover the cost is not on              also to hire the equipment and still do the cooking without the food and hygiene certificate is a no no if you are selling :farmer:

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 04:11:50 pm »
Thanks guys, but (a) the cost of hiring to our wee island is out of the question and (b) I already have the spit roast machine.  We were able to use it for a recent wedding because the professional catering company could use it.

I know I need certificates, because we would be selling the meat; just want to know how to go about getting them !

Jane

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 04:17:59 pm »
I'd speak to the local council and ask them.  There will be somebody there that knows where you should start.  Good luck mate

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 04:55:16 pm »
Hi Jane - how did the wedding go?

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 03:17:13 pm »
Hi Jane - how did the wedding go?

Hi Leri - I thoroughly enjoyed myself !  And everyone else seemed to do - they all started with a dram (or two) from the horsebox bar and that got everyone in a good mood.  Apparently the hog roasts were fantastic.  But unfortunately my OH spent so much time gossiping, the plate he was bringing me was empty by the time it got to me.  :'(

Took six months to organise, but it was worth it in the end.  How did yours go ?

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 08:51:58 pm »
Wow! Gorgeous photo :-)
Our was a perfect day too :-) I did post piccys up for you on the other thread. Did you not get to see them? x

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 09:39:50 pm »
Wow! Gorgeous photo :-)
Our was a perfect day too :-) I did post piccys up for you on the other thread. Did you not get to see them? x

Oh heck no - please could you give me the link to the other thread or put them on this thread for me ?
Jane

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 07:58:49 pm »
Eleri & Geraint's wedding 18th May 2011

There you go Jane - that should work x

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 02:53:44 pm »
You look absolutely wonderful - and what stunning location photos - a lovely record, thanks for showing me.

Lucy wore pink wellies !

xJane

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS