Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how long before i can move my sheep?  (Read 3894 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
how long before i can move my sheep?
« on: August 20, 2011, 10:57:14 pm »
how long is it befor ei can move my sheep after new pigs have arrived?

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: how long before i can move my sheep?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 10:59:37 pm »
s'ok i found it...20 days i think

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 09:16:49 am »
In England it is a 6 day standstill before you can move sheep, cattle, etc, but a 20 day standstill before you can move other (or the same) pigs.  It's 6 days with no movements, so it actually means you can move the sheep one week after you bring the pigs on.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 09:38:23 am »
In Scotland, bringing pigs on to your holding triggers a 13 day standstill on cows, sheep and goats. I actually checked this with an Animal Health vet last week and printed it off to put in with my movement licences. The length of time is related to the incubation period for FMD.

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 09:49:49 am »
What is the scottish standstill for pigs then? is it also 13 days or 21?
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 12:20:42 pm »
20 days for pigs      unless going to slaughter     the live pigs cannot move unless going for killing
if you have an approved isolation facility  the 20 day period does not apply       you have a holding within a holding           
the 13 day standstill that rosemary is referring to applies to other animals on the holding      again if you have an isolation facility this does not apply :farmer:

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 12:36:39 pm »
Cheers muchly
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 12:51:26 pm »
my wee piggies aren't going anywhere........!!!v  well not for a few months anyways....

you not got work to do Robert????  lol

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 05:30:32 pm »
to much work and no play makes for a dull life     tractor now starts  dynamo and regulator are here just the clutch and silly wee bits :farmer:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 05:45:50 pm »
Welcome back robert.   :wave: Sounds like you had a great time in Hatfield.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS