Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scottish Beef Calf Scheme / Single Farm Payment  (Read 6949 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Scottish Beef Calf Scheme / Single Farm Payment
« on: August 20, 2011, 01:49:03 pm »
Does anyone have any experience of this? We've never claimed any grants or subsidies, but I've decided that it would be a good idea to look into it, at least.

Our farm isn't registered for Single Farm Payment. I know it's for review in 2013, but we could buy entitlement now. Anyone done this - is it worthwhile? Do you have to have SFP to apply for SBCS?

We'd be eligible for SBCS for the calves that our Shetlands will hopefully have next year.

Any information appreciated.

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
Re: Scottish Beef Calf Scheme / Single Farm Payment
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 11:40:32 am »
we looking into having native/rare breeds cattle and we were told to look into Higher Level Stewardship scheme as they also pay incentives to you so have a look!   :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 05:43:35 pm »
it is all a bit of a farce          dittery old duffers that are are not farming are getting thousands for doing he haw  and renting there land out
farms can be sold with or without SPF         it was all based on hill cow subsidy/sheep subsidy etc etc etc and rolled into one
good luck  you will have to do the sums cost= return      extensive farming pays more sub than intensive  daft :wave:

F.CUTHBERT

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 10:44:29 pm »
Best thing to do is probably to call the SEERAD office or if you have time nip into Perth and have a chat with them. The staff are normally very helpfull and can explain what you will have to do to be able to claim. Then you will be able to decide if the amount you will get is worth all the form fillings and hassels. Remember it normally takes them about a year to pay out and payments are often reduced because too many claims have been made.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 08:42:19 am »
I had the NFU Insurance man out yesterday and he suggested SAC for advice. They have an office in Forfar. I'll try SGRPID first.

I'll post how I get on, if I can make sense of it :-)

THanks.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 08:59:52 am »
what animals do you need to have to claim anything?

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 09:23:31 am »
sheep  cattle   crops :farmer:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 01:26:20 pm »
Single Farm Payment you have to farm more than 3ha of eligible land, plus you have to hold entitlements, submit a Single Application Form, maintain your land in Good Agricultural and Environmental Condition (GAEC) and meet a number of Statutory Management Requirements (SMRs) covering the environmnet, food safety, animal and plant health and animal welfare(Cross Compliance), keep comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date records.

I haven't been brave enough to tackle GAEC and SMRs yet.

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 06:49:09 pm »
Sounds like fun - not.
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

neephasher

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 01:37:16 pm »
I do it for a living, SFP will be reallocated in 2014 depending on ground farmerd and whether you were an active farmer in 2011. There may be a siphon and entitlements created for entrants under 40 but as 2014 looks unlikely for implementation it may be wise to buy payment depending on what it is trading at. Certainly beef calf scheme is worth going for and you will also qualify for Land Manager Option grants, as well as getting access to minfield of SRDP Rural Development. Also be aware that once you start claiming grants you will open up all your activities for Cross Compliance inspections.
Can easy talk things through with you, I wouldnt charge just for a chinwag if someone was just getting going.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 08:57:28 pm »
I do it for a living, SFP will be reallocated in 2014 depending on ground farmerd and whether you were an active farmer in 2011. There may be a siphon and entitlements created for entrants under 40 but as 2014 looks unlikely for implementation it may be wise to buy payment depending on what it is trading at. Certainly beef calf scheme is worth going for and you will also qualify for Land Manager Option grants, as well as getting access to minfield of SRDP Rural Development. Also be aware that once you start claiming grants you will open up all your activities for Cross Compliance inspections.
Can easy talk things through with you, I wouldnt charge just for a chinwag if someone was just getting going.

I think I love you  :bouquet: Where are you?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS