Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do I pack & transport meat?  (Read 3576 times)

Nickie

• Joined May 2009
  • Gwynedd
How do I pack & transport meat?
« on: August 20, 2011, 09:42:57 am »
Hello knowledgeable ones!

My second batch of weaners will soon be ready to go off to slaughter - yippee!

However, I think I may have done too much of a good job on my last lot as I had a phone call from the in-laws this week. They have eaten our pork a few times when they have been visiting & always said how amazing it is. They have tried buying pork down their way (Haywards Heath), but it doesn't compare, so they've asked if there's any way I can send some down to them.

We live in North West Wales, about as far north & west as you can be without getting your feet wet, so it's a fair old distance. I've contacted a temperature controlled courier, but they are quoting nearly £150, which, although probably justified, just isn't feasible.

So. Question. Is it possible to pack it in an insulated box with ice packs & send it normal next day delivery? How do others who sell their meat in boxes transport it? Or does anyone know a good producer local to them where they could go buy some good, old fashioned, well reared pork?

Thank you.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: How do I pack & transport meat?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 10:19:37 am »
Wouldn't like to risk it on a next day withice packs what if it got lost or delayed?
Haywards Heath is in West Sussex and if you check the GOS members section on the GOS website there are about 1/2 dozen pig keepers in the area, you could contact any one of those for some pork for your outlaws and they'd be happy to accommodate i'm sure.
GOS is one of the finest pork producers ever not that i'm biased or anything ;D
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 10:37:39 am »
I agree with Mandy ....GOS is indeed the very best pork you will taste  :) :) :)

We send our boxes of pork by courier.  Packed in an insulated box with special gel ice packs.  They guarantee next day delivery.  Worth checking your local couriers to see if they will accept fresh meat (a lot won't).  If you don't have any luck you can always use ParcelForce - I think it's around £25 for overnight delivery with them.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 03:13:23 pm »
Hi Everyone,  I to am interested in this I have a lot of family in Cirencester, Essex and Sussex who adore my GOS sausages and joints and refuse to buy anything else so they have to wait for a visit, so rather than having my freezer completely emptied by cousins, sister and father if I could send some to them that would be easier.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 06:22:33 pm »

There are companies who do next day refrigerated delivery, and boxes that keep them cool

Rob r on the downsizer uses one to send me his fantastic beef - will ask him to remind me who he uses.

but a google produces

http://www.igloo-thermo.com/content/chilled-transport-you-can-rely

http://www.kimschilledcouriers.com/
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 09:04:01 pm »
I'm very interested in this too ...

My brother-in-law loves our Kune meat whenever he comes up from London & has raved about it to his friends & contacts.  When he came up this time, he took some a large amount back with him (I'm not at liberty to say how, but it involved a cut-rate plane from Prestwick  ;) ).

He now has potential orders that I could honestly double my herd to fullfill - any ideas?  I use Wishaw Abbatoir if that helps.

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS