Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gobsmacked  (Read 2463 times)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Gobsmacked
« on: August 19, 2011, 08:35:50 pm »
As most of you know we took 6 KKxgos for slaughter this week.  3 of them were fairly small as we needed them gone and the other 3 were bigger.  This is only the 2nd time we've taken pigs to slaughter.

On arriving the man said "Shall we do the same as before?" and i simply said "Lets see what the 3 bigger ones look like on the hook and play it by ear.  If you think that you can joint/cut them then go for it"

Hubby went to get them this morning then picked me up so we could sort it all out and freeze it.  I saw the bags in the car and thought nothing of it.  When we took them from the car to the house i nearly died !!! Last time we took them they came 1 per bag with a bag of offal.  This time there was 11 bags ...... I've never seen so many chops lol they're not massive but they're really lean and look fab.  There was a bit of meat (not sure which bit sorry) that had a decent layer of fat on it so we were happy to see that.

The 3 smaller ones came back with a primary cut, which is what i expected.  But i was in awe at the quantity of meat from the bigger ones  :pig: i had planned of weighing it all but i lost count.  My freezer is now chocka block so need to brush up on the old pork cooking lol bring on the smoker

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Gobsmacked
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 10:30:15 pm »
Enjoy!  :yum:

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 03:19:10 pm »
Hi Welshlass, congrats on the success of the KKXGOS I have only GOS myself and there meat alone is superb, one of the farmers on TV breeds KK for meat and rave's about the quality perhaps worth keeping a little longer or reducing there activities for a short time for them to get a bit bigger, I hurdle my GOS in for 6-8 weeks just to finish off and give the pen a rest before the next lot invade it.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 07:49:27 pm »
mmmm! :P
Little Blue

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 09:18:37 pm »
Little Blue what does mmmm mean?

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 09:45:16 pm »
i took it as a yuummmm :)

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 09:49:45 pm »
I also thought it meant yum yum.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 07:55:16 pm »
yes, yum .... sorry!!! ;) :D
Little Blue

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 07:26:19 pm »
Hi Welshlass, congrats on the success of the KKXGOS I have only GOS myself and there meat alone is superb, one of the farmers on TV breeds KK for meat and rave's about the quality perhaps worth keeping a little longer or reducing there activities for a short time for them to get a bit bigger, I hurdle my GOS in for 6-8 weeks just to finish off and give the pen a rest before the next lot invade it.

I certainly agree with Kunes for meat & giving them longer to finish.  We've had a 14-month castrate produce HUGE chops & joints, producing 82kgs of rough joints.  Entire boars have killed-out at 43-54kgs at 10-months, with no boar-taint (though HappyHippy has yet to put her nose in our freezer  ;) ).  I wouldn't recommend curtailing their activities though, as they really do have a tendancy to put down fat very quickly - free range with minimal hard feed after 6-months (non during the summer months for non-breeding stock & no more than 2lbs per day with hay/silage/haylage in the winter)  :yum:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS