Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Photos of our girls!  (Read 3572 times)

stitch366

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Derbyshire
Photos of our girls!
« on: August 18, 2011, 10:25:08 am »
Picked up our pigs from Little Miss Piggy last Friday, first time with pigs for us.  They are so gorgeous, really friendly, just hope when the time comes that I can send them off to the abbatoir!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Photos of our girls!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 12:55:57 pm »
Awwwww  :)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 12:56:43 pm »
lovely :) wish mine were as quiet as these lol

stitch366

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 01:24:26 pm »
They are lovely, I didn't realise what little characters they would be.  Only had them 6 days and I am already attached to them..... made the mistake of naming them...... after The Three Degrees.. Sheila, Helen & Valerie!!!  was going to call them Pancetta, Parma & Chorizo but OH said that was not a good idea!!

Already lining up getting three more (for a seperate pen) in 8 weeks time then at least when it is time for the girls to go I wont have empty nest syndrome!!  :'(

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 08:11:44 pm »
they're gorgeous!
kune crosses?  :pig:  they look delicious anyway! ;)
Little Blue

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 08:43:59 pm »
they are lovely  :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 11:06:32 pm »
What little beauties.  LMP please share how they're bred - BH is wanting as big a mixture of colours and patterns from our OSB as poss ... (I know, I know, breeding 'dolly mixtures' makes robert spit - but they'll just be for meat and it all tastes as good, may as well have a bit of fun with the cuteness!)

Ah-ha!  Detective work in Marketplace ... these are the Duroc x OSB, yes?  Very cute, BH would like those.  Plus the Duroc is a good muscley pig, am I right?  Do you know where I could buy Duroc semen?

Sorry, stitch366, for taking a tangent off your thread.  It's just they are so cute and I thought they had some OSB in them...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

stitch366

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 09:23:13 am »
I think LMP said that Mum was a cross between OSB & Duroc and Dad was a Berkshire?  It is nice having 3 from the same litter that are completely different :pig: :pig: :pig:.  One thing that has puzzled me a bit, I thought they would love the apples from our trees but they completely ignore them when we throw them into their pen, we even cut them in half to see if that would encourage them but they are still not interested.  Also tried giving them the leaves fom our cauliflowers & Broccoli and they dont like those either???? They just seem to want to eat the pig nuts and grass.  I thought pigs would eat most things??   :wave:

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 11:13:01 am »
Really? Altho when we had a couple of OSB's they weren't mad for apples - but did eat them. Our GOS x 's love apples - but then they are the 'orchard pig'! :-) x

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 11:30:33 am »
Very sweet girls, my 2 love apples, bananas, strawberries, pears. Not so keen on veg apart from carrots.  :pig:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 06:42:46 pm »
My OSBs practically lived on apples last back end.  (Not really.  But they did get a lot of apples, and loved them.)  Meg's favourite food is bananas (skins and all.)  She can peel an orange with her nose and eats the flesh, leaves the skin.

They've eaten pretty much everything I've offered them, just don't like citrus peel or oniony things.  It did take a while for them to decide to drink the whey from our local cheese-maker, but now it's Meg's top favourite, after bananas.

Maybe try feeding them the not-pig-nuts food at a different time - when there's nothing else on offer?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 03:28:22 pm »
As they are your first pigs you will of course get attached to them however, we still name nearly all ours, i had a litter of 7 that i bought once and they were called the 7 dwarfs Grumpy always stood out, Bob the boar is running with Porsche at the moment you can tell my kids name the pigs, but when they break through the fencing or bite you bottom a bit to hard you them realise that they are not pets and they just get bigger and bigger you will be fine. :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS