Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sausage casings?  (Read 4100 times)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Sausage casings?
« on: August 17, 2011, 10:16:56 pm »
Where is the best place to buy them?  Got pretty much a whole KK X GOS in the freezer waiting to be made into sausages  :pig: need to know where the best place is to buy them and what it is i am meant to buy?  Seen all sorts on there lol

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Sausage casings?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 11:02:45 pm »
I bought mine from weschenfelder and my friend bout from natural casings, both online.  i bought hog casings for my ordinary sausages, lamb casings for chipolatas and beef middles for salamis.  if your meat is in the freezer though, don't make sauaages if you are going to re freeze! 

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 11:04:57 pm »
We found the best source for casings was from a butcher who made his own sausages. We were able to get fresh casings and found they were a lot better than the ones we bought mail order, as they were salted. They needed to be soaked and rinsed first and were more difficult to handle and still tasted salty after soaking. Unfortunately our butcher only had standard size casings so when we wanted to make salami we had to use salted ox bungs.
We also found that the domestic electric mincer we had wasn't up to the job and couldn't justify a commercial one, so we bought a old fashioned metal hand mincer that clamps to the table and that worked really well (made your arm ache after a while).
I see you have already frozen your meat. We minced and made sausages that could then be frozen, as it would concern me to use meat that has previously been frozen, unless of course you were making small batches to use straight away rather than wanting to e-freeze the meat.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 10:19:41 am »
Righto will give our local butchers a call.  I've got 2 of the old fashion hand grinders :) and a silly hand sausage maker lol got given it so thought i'd try it before getting a machine one.

It's all in bags so what i'd do is defrost a bag then make some and see how they go :) i can always make the sausages and cook them then freeze them if they turn out nice hehe

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 11:13:19 am »
If anyone local to me wants sausage casings or any other butchery supplies you are welcome to get them from me.

EX39 5RF

www.fordmillfarm.co.uk

:)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 01:36:27 pm »
It's all in bags so what i'd do is defrost a bag then make some and see how they go :) i can always make the sausages and cook them then freeze them if they turn out nice hehe
Small quantities like that are much better to experiment with and you can have fun adding apple, apricot etc and various combinations of herbs and spices. Enjoy.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 02:13:14 pm »
The bags are about 3 or 4 kgs each but thats not an issue to be honest as if there is to much meat i'll just make a stew with the left overs hehe thank you

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS