Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for weaners or young stock to bring on for meat  (Read 4804 times)

Smokin

• Joined Aug 2011
Looking for weaners or young stock to bring on for meat
« on: August 17, 2011, 04:07:34 pm »
Got the arcs built, pen fenced, feed in and CPH No. etc. I guess we are now ready to take on our first porkers.

So, we are looking for up to 4 piglets / young pigs to raise for meat. We are based in South Wales, a few miles from Ammanford. We have the use of a stock trailer and are happy to travel up to 60 miles to collect.

Thinking we would like rare breed such as GOS, Tamworth or Saddle Back but will consider most breeds as we intend trying as many different types as we can.

If you have any or know of any for sale please post details or send PM.
Thanks, Darren.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Looking for weaners or young stock to bring on for meat
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 05:04:39 pm »
It's not just the cph no. You also need a herd no. from animal health.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 06:18:58 pm »
Take a look at oldspots.org for details of GOS litters for sale, also the BPA website britishpigs.org.

Let us know how you get on, and what breed you decide on.

:)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 09:08:09 pm »
The CPH number and the herd number will come together (or ours did and it's the same council) I'll have weaners ready in the middle of September :) you are more than welcome to come see them x x Failing that go to mart 2nd September in Carmarthen

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 12:02:03 pm »
Check the Tamworth breeders club website, there are several breeders in South Wales.

Liz Shankland (Tudful Tamworths on here) but I know she is showing this weekend.

Sally & David McGowan are near Carmarthan, (which is not too far from you I don't think with my limited welsh knowledge!).

If you want to p/m me I can pm you their numbers.

Greenfarm

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 07:02:18 pm »
 Hi Darren We have GOS weaners for sale. Very strong, thick set piglets from quality stock Suitable for breeding or meat.

1 litter of 11 from Princess sow and Rufus boar.
1 litter of 9 from Dolly sow and Rufus boar.

Will be wormed, tattooed and birth notified. Ready from 25th August. We are just off junction 17 of M4. about 30 min once over the bridge.

For more information, please call Richard on 07825235629.

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 04:16:59 pm »
Smokin, if you just want for meat stick to a nice stocky breed like the Gloucester old Spot though demand for meat has risen and they can be sometimes overpriced, the Saddlebacks are good bacon pigs and will eat anything and everything all the time, there are so many breeds Large blacks, Large whites it just depends on what you want from your pig, a Saddleback, Large white or Black left until about 12 months will give you super bacon, ham and sausages but your chops may have to be trimmed slightly. Do have a good look at all the breeds before you decide. I would go GOS everytime because I love them, though I do have some saddlebacks, Duroks and Oxford Sandy X GOS.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 11:34:02 pm »
I sold a registered pedigree Oxford Sandy & Black to an OSB breeder in Ammanford last year. Will dig out the contact details. I was very impressed with the meat and the way the weaners grew without putting on too much fat (just enough).

Also have friends in Neath with Large Whites and Berkshires, if you're interested.
Liz
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Smokin

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 09:15:39 am »
Hi Liz

That would be great.

We have just purchased 4 GOS finishers and will want 4 weaners in around 3 weeks or so.

Thanks
Darren

Smokin

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 09:18:59 am »
Thanks to everyone who has replied so far, we now have 4 GOS boys who will go for pork in around 2 months. We will want 4 weaners in around 3 weeks time.

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 02:11:01 am »
Just incase October is also a preferance. Well done on your first 4 and best of luck with teh future.

Im in Somerset and Will have large white cross's ready as weaners mid October around £35 per head. Last lot of meat we had was fantastic from this bunch. Great looking piglets at teh moment nice and strong; had their Iron jabs and will be wormed etc prior to their destination.

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 05:50:51 pm »
will have birth notified Pedigree British Lop ready then in Shropshire  :wave:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 10:47:08 pm »
I've sent PMs with contact details for two breeders - large white and Berkshires, as well as OSBs.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Smokin

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 09:51:01 am »
Thanks Liz

Rebecca@Matthews_Pork

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 03:20:29 pm »
Hi Darren,

We have some fantastic pedigree GOS weaners that will be ready w/c 12th September. Gilts and boars available, birth notified, electric fence trained, appropriately ear marked and wormed.

We are based near Chepstow on the England/Wales border - not sure if that would be too far for you.

Many thanks,

Rebecca and Matt

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS