Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: grey lumps in our pork fat  (Read 5948 times)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
grey lumps in our pork fat
« on: August 17, 2011, 02:08:51 pm »
Hi there,
we have just collected our boar from the abbatoir and are just butchering the shoulder to do some sausages and I have noticed a number of grey round lumps in the fat. They look like little tumours or something and I am also worried that they could be some sort of parasite. Has anyone seen anything like it before? If I cut them out will the rest of the meat be ok to eat. They are only in the fat and range from about 1 to 1.5cm at the largest. I will try to send photos.
Thank you
P

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: grey lumps in our pork fat
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 02:22:13 pm »
Try and put some pictures up so that we can see.

Under the shoulder area there could be some glands/nodes that could possibly be what you are describing, although I wouldn't expect them to be grey.

I'll watch out for the photos.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 02:47:38 pm »
it  is the fat gland        just cut out it does not taint the meat        :farmer: nothing to worry about :farmer:

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 04:06:51 pm »
thanks so much - i will put piccies on here when i can to confirm
p

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 09:28:51 pm »
Hi plt102,
the gray lumps on the pork that you are describing is the fat cells, they do look horrid, just cut them out and discard them, it will not do ant harm to your pork. When i first started doing my own slicing and dicing i was quite concerned about the wee gray bits and always cut them out and binned them.
HTH :pig: :pig:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 12:29:40 pm »
Dread to think what I would look like if someone dressed me out if those are fat glands.  :o  ;D
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 07:07:18 pm »
I had some of this today when we went through the meat we picked up today.  Looks horrid lol but i was glad i saw this before i saw it in the meat !!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS