Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boar Taint and age.  (Read 8744 times)

Mel

Boar Taint and age.
« on: August 17, 2011, 08:07:03 am »
Hi,
please advise,is it advisable to cull boars at 6 months in case of getting taint? My boars shall be 6 months middle of next month you see,they are getting a bit rowdy now and I can't give them enough attention,two hours yesterday playing football and rubbing tummies-but they do tend to try and nip me when I try top leave! :o

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Boar Taint and age.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:12:29 am »
From experience 6 months is not a problem, have done them as late as 8 months.

Mel

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 08:15:29 am »
From experience 6 months is not a problem, have done them as late as 8 months.
It is just that a local farmer whom produces beef,sells lamp and pork aswell in his shop said you must get them gone otherwise it is a major risk with them being free ranging??!!-Thanks for you reply!

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 09:27:51 am »
Are they free ranging with gilts ?
If not, you're risks are lessened  ;)
But, as you're discovering from their behaviour, they can get a bit bolshy as they start to mature - not always just boars gilts can do it too. That's usually what dictates it's time for them to go in my book.
When you send them depends on their weight and what you're wanting from them really - if it's pork you're after, aim for around 85Kg liveweight (at approx 6 months) or if you're looking for bacon and bigger cuts aim for 100Kg plus which will take longer.
A LOT is written about taint - and a lot of folk can't smell it or aren't as aware of it as others. Me.... I can smell it at 100 yards lol! But I'm super sensitive in the nasal department  ::) ;D hubby and the kids don't seem to notice it.
HTH
Karen

Mel

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 09:32:13 am »
Are they free ranging with gilts ?
If not, you're risks are lessened  ;)
But, as you're discovering from their behaviour, they can get a bit bolshy as they start to mature - not always just boars gilts can do it too. That's usually what dictates it's time for them to go in my book.
When you send them depends on their weight and what you're wanting from them really - if it's pork you're after, aim for around 85Kg liveweight (at approx 6 months) or if you're looking for bacon and bigger cuts aim for 100Kg plus which will take longer.
A LOT is written about taint - and a lot of folk can't smell it or aren't as aware of it as others. Me.... I can smell it at 100 yards lol! But I'm super sensitive in the nasal department  ::) ;D hubby and the kids don't seem to notice it.
HTH
Karen

Hi Karen,
Yes they are,I have four Boars and two gilts,I shall go down and measure their weight,they were only some 35kg a few weeks ago!-and They are,biting each other,incredibly rowdy at mealtimes but otherwise,they are nearly always running about chasing each other,playing,they are quite active for boars!(one of them has started to try and mount the gilts!)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 09:59:30 am »
IMHO you need to separate the boys from the gilts sharpish or you may have an accident you don't want at 6 months they should measure 40 inches round the chest behind the front legs if they do they're ready to go to the butchers, you can then run the gilts on to bacon in a couple of months time.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

Mel

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 10:06:21 am »
IMHO you need to separate the boys from the gilts sharpish or you may have an accident you don't want at 6 months they should measure 40 inches round the chest behind the front legs if they do they're ready to go to the butchers, you can then run the gilts on to bacon in a couple of months time.
HTH
Accident?as in Piglets?!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 10:12:49 am »
yes as in getting your gilts pregnant, a boar can be sexually active as young as 5 months old likewise your gilts. If your boars are already trying to mount your gilts it time to move 'em. Did nobody tell you about the birds & the bees!!!  ::)

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 10:51:19 am »
Completely agree with Mandy, get a fence between them sharpish !
Ideally I'd try to keep them as far away from each other as possible because if they can still see and smell the gilts they'll keep trying to get to them  ;)

Mel

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 10:53:12 am »
Actually... ;D No one advised me the age of pigs becoming active! ok,just measured them,35" girth x 35 length,not too far away then! they are due to be 6 months on 11th September,can they hit the 40" by then?!

Mel

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 11:22:21 am »
Completely agree with Mandy, get a fence between them sharpish !
Ideally I'd try to keep them as far away from each other as possible because if they can still see and smell the gilts they'll keep trying to get to them  ;)
That is a bit of a problem to do immediately as I would need to buy another hut and as I only have one acre,they would always be somewhat close-between fences. they are currently on just over half an acre to keep them within guidelines for free ranging.

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 08:22:44 pm »
Half an acre is plenty for 2 runs at that age. I agree, you do want to separate them if you can, but if they're going to the abattoir in less than a month I'm not sure it's worth it if you need to build/buy another ark.
They should make about 40" and if they're a bit under I wouldn't worry - an inch more or less isn't worth worrying about ;-)
The urgency is dictated by the likelihood of the boars serving the gilts - we've run an entire boar on to 9 months (we didn't plan to, but when he was due to go the track to his field had 4 feet of snow on it!) and neither we nor any of our customers has noticed any taint.

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 03:05:05 pm »
All of our boars are reared to 8 months which is around 110kg live weight and we've never experienced boar teint, just fantastic pork that others rave about! We have though learned from experience that pigs can get pregnant at 5 months 3 weeks of age! Everything turned out fine and they are fantastic mums....but they should have been chops!!!  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS