Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: she only had 2 piglets 2 days ago is this normal!  (Read 6577 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: she only had 2 piglets 2 days ago is this normal!
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 08:41:57 am »
rosemary i was not giving jent 1964 a hard time  you know what like i am when i give somebody a hard time :farmer:

Just nipping it in the bud - have seen how it can turn out  ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 09:16:06 am »
Congratulations on your litter, jent1964.  My OSB gilt is due next month to AI saddleback; I don't particularly want a huge litter, I just wanted her to get started on her breeding career before she got past the best age.  I'd be perfectly happy with two healthy little ones for her first litter, especially as any spares will be wanting new homes mid-winter - not the best time to be finding free-range homes in this wet muddy part of the world...  She's got a big and growing tummy, though, so goodness knows how many are in there...  ::) 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 12:32:45 pm »
Sally
if its any consolation i thought Twinkle was having a football team too as she was huge, in the end she had six huge monsters instead which we had a bit of trauma delivering, however they're all feeding well and at 10 days old they're already pinching mums food so have introduced them to creep feed, they're even standing up on their hind legs to put 2 front trotters in the low level drinker to slurp water! Like you i didn't want a huge litter either so its a blessing she had six, might sell two gilts of this litte but they are just so cute!
mandy  ;D :pig:

jent1964

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 11:33:16 am »
Thanks for all your help and mother and babies are doing fine i got someone who had a lot experince in to check mum and babies and all is well  :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 12:27:24 pm »
That's great news, jent1964.  We'd love to see some pics if you have any?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS