Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Winter pigs  (Read 3401 times)

Bioman

Winter pigs
« on: August 13, 2011, 10:00:40 pm »
I'm looking to get pigs that will be fattened over the winter outside. What rare breed would be best? I believe Large Black and Tamworths are excellent but is there an ultimate?Do most of the rare breeds do well over wintered? I've had OSB's and Berkshires before so am looking for something else.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
Re: Winter pigs
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 12:03:42 am »
Tamworths will certainly do the job. Mine are 800ft up and out all year round, apart from when they farrowing. Choose something hairy and you'll be fine.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 10:12:28 am »
Recommend GOS, they're good hardy pigs likewise OSB. As Liz says choose something hairy!  ;D
Mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 10:35:41 am »
any breed will do if managed appropriately       we had Hampshire's out all last winter in Scotland -20  with no loss of condition       also lops and tamworths :farmer:

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 08:16:12 pm »
Our mangalitzas were out playing in the snow at -20 last winter: they seemed to love it! Worth a thought!

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 10:36:48 pm »

Aye but Mangalitzas are barking mad :)

Looking forward to seeing how our Kunes enjoy their first taste of snow in a couple of months.

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 10:44:09 pm »
is it going to snow in october :o

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 09:26:13 am »
is it going to snow in october :o

You mean... What is the next element in this series : 

• December 2009
  • November 2010

?

I bloomin' well hope it's a very short series!!!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS