Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: newby divvy questions  (Read 2058 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
newby divvy questions
« on: August 12, 2011, 08:44:21 pm »
would a kk pig eat a dead poisoned rat ????????? also got a bucket of windfall apples last week, put them in a bin then fed a couple each day to the pigs, then got loads of wasps, so chucked them away in with the poultry, question is what happens if a pig eats an apple with a wasp inside.

HappyHippy

Re: newby divvy questions
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 09:21:47 pm »
Yes, a pig would eat a dead rat I reckon. Not sure what the prognosis would be for the pig if the rat was poisoned, but Kunes aren't terribly big so I would imagine the poison would have more effect on them than a bigger pig. If you're using poison (also a risk to your chooks) then definately get advice from your vet as to what would happen "if" - but I'd look at alternative methods of pest control  ;)
Can't say I've noticed any of my pigs bothered by wasps - but it's so wet here they're not out flying  :-\ I don't know the answer to that one, but I'm sure someone will.

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 09:33:45 pm »
there must be a reason for you asking these questions  :farmer:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 09:49:24 pm »
yes always had rat problems as land by a stream... poisoned them for years but no progress as more move in.... trying a new live trap now then shoot the buggers, may buy more rat multi traps as poison is never ending and dont want to lose pigs. never had a problem with poultry eating them as most die underground and those on top get burnt......... also wondered as wasps burrow into apples what would happen if it got in a pigs mouth, possibly fatal as with humans as our tongues swell up when stung???not worth feeding them the apples if risky. if you are wondering how they get in our mouths its when they get into open drink cans then we drink.

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 10:01:23 pm »
the stream is not the reason the rats are there        the free source of food from your hens and pigs is the big attraction   the stream is there motorway   good luck with the trapping they do not get trapped and if they do they will never use that run again
with the wasps    feed the apples before the wasps get to them :farmer:

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 10:03:34 pm »
our pigs ate a buzzard! it was a youngster and flew into the pen, we don't think it was very strong or may have been zapped by the electric fence, but all we found was a few feathers and a leg. one day later the leg was gone too, so happy pigs. The other youngster keeps landing in the pen too much to the frustration of mum who gives me lots of verble when i'm feeding up, so they may yet have another meal soon.  :pig:

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 04:14:57 pm »
My pigs are happy to eat just about anything to I think that is all pigs, but I would be worried if I thought they had swallowed rat poison, if you have a local ratter he will bring his dogs out to help with the situation, or get a jack Russell yourself they are fab for keeping vermin down, I also have a Ferrel kitten who is learning the ropes, any local farmer will let you have one.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 09:55:33 pm »
dont want a ferrel cat it would eat the poultry.......... shot 6 this evening sitting on a barrel with my camo on, will feed the pigs etc in one place now so i can pick them of every evening before dark......... dead easy with a good air rifle, got a bsa super 10, cant miss every shot, that is if the bloody piglets will leave me alone, one of the 4 ive had 3 weeks wont leave my feet alone, trying to aim and gently kick the pig away is tricky.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS