Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Fancy a few Oxford Sandy & Black Little Beauties?  (Read 1914 times)

Hairy Hogs

• Joined Feb 2011
Hi There, having just returned from a splendido holiday in lovely Italia, I find that the littles are now far too big to be only 6 weeks old, and mummy piggy is suffering, consequently I am going to wean the little blighters this week!

The photo's here were taken just before our hoilday.

I HAD sold two to a chap who simply couldnt wait...................NOW its seems he doesnt want them anymore.  A mate who had ordered the other 4 now cant possibly take them either for various reasons. 
This does not cause any panic because I am happy to fatten them for the pre Christmas market but if anyone else wants any, they will be weaned this week.  Lovely little devils, and will make superb pork or bacon.

Mum is a beauty, this was her first litter, I have not bothered to register any simply because I dont 'Think'? any meet the breed standard, but with Oxfords its seems its anyones guess?!?!??! ;D

We are near Olney in Bucks

Thanks & Regards
Jason

www.hairyhogs.co.uk

freethyme

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Solihull
How much are you wanting for each.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
They look gorgeous and if you were much further north I might not have been able to resist...  ;D

But Meg pigs next month so I really don't need any other little piggies to worry about just at the mo...

Good luck finding homes for them, anyway.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
I have not bothered to register any simply because I dont 'Think'? any meet the breed standard, but with Oxfords its seems its anyones guess?!?!??!  

Good luck with getting rid of your surplus weaners, but I'm a bit concerned at your comment about the OSB breed standard. Each breed has its own standard for very good reasons.

Whether or not OSBs meet the breed standard is not "anyone's guess" - as with all breeds, there is a clear "checklist" of desirable (and undesirable points) which determine whether a pig is suitable for registration or not.

The breed standard is here:
http://www.britishpigs.org.uk/BPA%20Standards%20of%20Excelence%20OSB.pdf

If in doubt, please consult a reputable OSB breeder for advice.
The breed reps will be happy to help with advice: Mrs Maureen Case, Long Ash Cottage, Milton Abbas, Blandford, Dorset DT11 0BX 01258 880447; Mr D Norman, Broadclose, Ansty, Dorchester, Dorset, DT2 7PN  01258 880143 drn@ic24.net

Too many people are registering absolute rubbish because of ignorance (one reason why GOS pigs are in such a state at the moment). You're right in not registering because you have neither the knowledge nor the experience. I just wish others would be just as cautious.

All the best
Liz

www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS