Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Daft labelling.  (Read 4505 times)

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
Daft labelling.
« on: August 07, 2011, 02:51:50 pm »
A small plastic bag, included with a bamboo blind, contains 2x cup hooks, 2x wood screws and a metal cleat. Emblazoned on the bag in large black lettering it says DO NOT EAT ! ???

I'm sure others can find examples just as daft.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Daft labelling.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 02:58:55 pm »
Product : salted peanuts

Warning : this product may contain nuts.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 03:11:11 pm »
In similar vein, all but two freezers are guaranteed to work only when the ambient temperature is 10 deg C or above.  In one case (Whirlpool), using the freezer when the ambient falls below 10 deg C invalidates the warranty completely.

(Guess which brand I did not buy.)

One company (Miele) took the trouble to explain that the heat exchanger needs a temperature gradient to work, and that is why they may not work in low temps - and/or may keep trying to work and failing, thus being very inefficient and possibly icing up inside.  But their freezer (a) will not be damaged by being ON in low temps, (b) will always warn you if the internal temp rises to a point which is unsafe for the contents and (c) even if you do have to turn the freezer off when it's very cold to stop it using up an entire power station's output on its impossible mission, the warranty is not invalidated when the ambient returns to 10 deg C.

(Guess which brand I did buy.)

As to whether the freezer works ok if we get sub zero for months again this winter - I'll let you know next year...  (If we get -18 deg C and below again it won't matter, the food will keep fine on the shelves!)

Sorry, not quite daft labelling, but it seemed bizarre to me that (nearly) all freezers are not guaranteed to work when it is too cold.  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 04:19:16 pm »
I ordered in some face flannels, shaped like lollipops for Xmas fairs. They were very obviously towelling but the label stated "this is not food, do not eat".

What annoys me re:labelling is the way I legally have to label my soap. Instead of being able to put coconut oil, it has to state Sodium cocoate (as its saponified) olive oil becomes Sodium olivate and oats are 'avena sativa' - I always think that my customers must believe my soap is packed full of chemicals with all these long names  ::)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 04:48:30 pm »
I ordered in some face flannels, shaped like lollipops for Xmas fairs. They were very obviously towelling but the label stated "this is not food, do not eat".

What annoys me re:labelling is the way I legally have to label my soap. Instead of being able to put coconut oil, it has to state Sodium cocoate (as its saponified) olive oil becomes Sodium olivate and oats are 'avena sativa' - I always think that my customers must believe my soap is packed full of chemicals with all these long names  ::)

Can you put two labels on - one for the chemists and Latin scholars and one for the rest of us?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 05:22:00 pm »
am looking at ways around it (can't fit alternative name into brackets on current labels) but on the website I can put both names or at least tell people that its not nasty stuff but all good nice stuff!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ser3dan

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 07:55:54 pm »
The labelling of stuff with ' may contain nuts ' is because peanut oil is used as a lubricant on machinery in food premises - it can drop onto the final product with no adverse effects. It does make me laugh when I see nuts with ' this product may contain nuts ' on the packet though!  :D

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 09:17:10 pm »
Another one.
We re-use egg boxes and over label them for our own eggs. Recently came across a "Tesco value range" egg box which honestly said "May contain egg"! ???
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 10:20:02 pm »
I'm also amused by gallon containers of de-ionised water with a best before date.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 10:54:48 am »
A small plastic bag, included with a bamboo blind, contains 2x cup hooks, 2x wood screws and a metal cleat. Emblazoned on the bag in large black lettering it says DO NOT EAT ! ???

This one was probably labelled for Pandas ;D :&>

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 05:07:13 pm »
How about Night Nurse which you take to get you to sleep when you have a cold. 'Warning it may make you drowsey'    Oh, I do hope so
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS