Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: duck eggs  (Read 6456 times)

Ash Field Farm

• Joined Apr 2008
  • banbury
  • my girls
duck eggs
« on: February 14, 2009, 04:49:43 pm »
i have been think about keeping ducks for there eggs would nay one have advice on breeds of duck that are good for it and how many they would lay for me and so on what king of housing would they need

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
Re: duck eggs
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 05:35:58 pm »
We keep Kahki Campbells and they are good egg layers.  I think I read that they will lay 300 eggs a year though we do not keep records of ours.  The eggs are slightly bigger than Hen eggs and lovely for cooking or baking.  Ducks need a simple shelter that is fox proof, if you are bothered by foxes, and dry.  They also do need water, preferably to swim in but they need to be able to submerge their heads in water or they may get eye problems.  If you want to see any of the eggs, don't let them out until about 10am when they should have laid, otherwise they will lay anywhere!

Good luck

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Ash Field Farm

• Joined Apr 2008
  • banbury
  • my girls
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 06:26:40 pm »
hi could u show me please a picture of the size of the eggs  and a pic of the breed of the duck is there another type of duck as wellthat lays the same amount

thanks for the reply

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 10:28:38 pm »
I do agree with Crofter. We have different breeds and the K Campbells have been laying non stop all through the winter. As C said, the eggs are a bit bigger than hens' eggs. Lovely for baking, poaching or quiches. Do not attempt meringues with them, the result made my daughter cry...I put up a little film a few days ago under the thread "help with breed identification". The Campbells are the 3 light coloured ones with the shorter neck, the long necked duck is the Indian Runner. Our ducks spend the night in a "converted" hen house, the conversion is a sloped board instead of a ladder. It took a bit of training to get them in but now they go in by themselves by sundown, we just need to shut the door.:&>

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 10:35:15 pm »
We always found Indian runners lay well too. Again, lovely big eggs.

Beth

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 10:48:53 pm »
Our Indian Runner took a winter break of almost 2 months, but I don't know how old she is.
Ash Field Farm, the pic under my name is a Campbell mother and duckling. :&>

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 08:31:27 am »
KCs l ovely eggs.  Not good mothers though (in my experience), if you want to breed more either a broody or an incubator. 

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 08:34:11 am »
Definately agree there HM. Ours killed 2 broods before we gave up.  Now we incubate them.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 11:57:35 pm »
our indian runners have had 3 broods in two years and while only having 3's and 4's are very protective in their early stages
Ian

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 08:25:04 am »
Aylesburys make a good dual purpose.  They are supposedly good parents too.  Although mine spend their whole time having sex, but never a broody to be seen. 

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 10:06:51 am »

Silver Appleyards..Good layers and a fine tablebird.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 08:45:04 am »
Gorgeous, now I want some ....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS