Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which is the best wormer  (Read 5182 times)

Mel

Which is the best wormer
« on: July 29, 2011, 01:29:29 pm »
Hi all :wave:

My piggies are 16 weeks of age now,these were wormed prior to me buying them,I cannot see any worms in their stools but I would prefer to be safe and worm them when the time is due,I cannot remember the intervals for worming and what the best wormer is? I would really appreciate your advice.

They have really grown since they arrived!-And have become really friendly,one even sits on my lap (ouch) for her tummy rubs! A Local farmer said they shall be ready in two months?!  ??? and that I do not want htem to get too big?!-That's a long way off what I was advised as 7 months for pork and 9+ for bacon?

HappyHippy

Re: Which is the best wormer
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 01:55:23 pm »
Before you go dosing them (perhaps without need) get yourself one of these worm count kits https://www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk/worm-count-kit-p-2242.html All wormers are much the same - it depends which worms you have and whether you want to dose them orally or by injection. 6 monthly is the interval for worming - usually.
How big they get is up to you and how quickly they'll grow depends on the breed, the area they have to roam in and how much you are feeding them. But it's worth checking with the abbatoir that you intend using as some have cut off weights above which, they can't take.
To weigh your pigs - measure around their belly, just behind the front legs (in meters) multiply that number by itself then multiply by the length (from the base of the tail to the base of the ears) in meters then multiply by 69.3 to get their weight in Kg.
Pork pigs are generally around 85Kg liveweight and bacon ones over the 100 - but check with the abbatoir that they'll be able to take them if they are bigger.
HTH
Karen x

Mel

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 03:31:55 pm »
Before you go dosing them (perhaps without need) get yourself one of these worm count kits https://www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk/worm-count-kit-p-2242.html All wormers are much the same - it depends which worms you have and whether you want to dose them orally or by injection. 6 monthly is the interval for worming - usually.
How big they get is up to you and how quickly they'll grow depends on the breed, the area they have to roam in and how much you are feeding them. But it's worth checking with the abbatoir that you intend using as some have cut off weights above which, they can't take.
To weigh your pigs - measure around their belly, just behind the front legs (in meters) multiply that number by itself then multiply by the length (from the base of the tail to the base of the ears) in meters then multiply by 69.3 to get their weight in Kg.
Pork pigs are generally around 85Kg liveweight and bacon ones over the 100 - but check with the abbatoir that they'll be able to take them if they are bigger.
HTH
Karen x

Hi Karen,

Tanks for that,I did actually ask questions to SRS earlier on in the year and never received a response,I am going to measure them shortly so shall let you know the results!
Melx
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:43:46 pm by leghorn »

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 04:35:57 pm »
If they were wormed when you got them they shouldn't need worming again before they go to slaughter unless they've been running on very wormy ground - as HH says, it's worth doing a worm count for future reference.
If you do need to worm pigs I'd recommend Ivomec - it's injectable which can be a hassle but it deals with internal & external parasites, and at least if you've injected it you know they've had it! It has a 28 day withdrawal period though.

Mel

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 05:48:53 pm »
If they were wormed when you got them they shouldn't need worming again before they go to slaughter unless they've been running on very wormy ground - as HH says, it's worth doing a worm count for future reference.
If you do need to worm pigs I'd recommend Ivomec - it's injectable which can be a hassle but it deals with internal & external parasites, and at least if you've injected it you know they've had it! It has a 28 day withdrawal period though.
The land has not been used in years until we took over,but as far as Earthworms are concerned,it is very fertile throughout and I would say it has a high count.(10-20+ for every spade dug)I shall take the test anyhow,just so I'm clear!,Thanks for your advice.
Melx

Mel

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 06:41:46 pm »
HTH
Karen x

Hi again!

Ok,I done this in inches,they measure 31" x 31" suprisingly,I believe this works out at 74lbs or 33.67 Kilo's.

Is this about right for their age?!

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 06:59:38 pm »
It depends on the breed really  ;)
Robert will tell you what weight his Hampshires are at 16 weeks (they'll be a fair bit heavier than that ;)) and my Kune Kunes are usually around this weight at 6-8 months.
If you've got a traditional rare breed pig - you're on the right lines. Just watch they don't get over fat as slaughter time approaches.
HTH
Karen x

Mel

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 07:10:48 pm »
Hi Karen,

They are GOS/Berkshire Black x.

Some pictures taken a few minutes ago. :)

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 07:46:08 pm »
they are not far of the weight of the Hampshire's      in seven week time they should be double the weight they are just now    just be carefull with the feeding they could easy put fat on          and by the time they are 6-7 months they should be 4 times there current weight
backfat at that time  who knows  there will be a bit   but IT IS NOT WASTE   render it down for cooking or making soap :farmer:

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 10:37:19 am »
Tanks for that,I did actually ask questions to SRS earlier on in the year and never received a response,I am going to measure them shortly so shall let you know the results!
Melx

Apologies if I missed your question - I always reply if I see someone has asked me something.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Mel

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 09:08:21 am »
Melx

Apologies if I missed your question - I always reply if I see someone has asked me something.

Thanks
That's ok,I shall pop over to your website for one!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS