Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HELP Mangalitza Losing Her Hair !  (Read 5436 times)

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
HELP Mangalitza Losing Her Hair !
« on: July 28, 2011, 02:13:49 pm »
I have a one year old gilt Mangalitza who over the last two weeks or so is losing her hair! In big chunks... she is looking like she has had a moheican now! She is well in herself - eating pooing weeing all fine but was a bit down in the dumps for a couple of days when I moved her into a different field with pigs she did not like so moved her back and she was fine.

Any thoughts or advice please?

Thanks
Amanda

HappyHippy

Re: HELP Mangalitza Losing Her Hair !
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 03:57:48 pm »
Amanda,
I don't keep Managlitza's myself, but Tiva Diva on here does and she had mentioned that most of hers 'moult' in the summer. It could be this perhaps ? Especially if she's well in herself and there's no sign of mange.
You could try brushing her with a horse grooming brush and a bit of pig oil (as long as it's not too hot & sunny - don't want to cook her  ;)) and see if that helps her shed the rest of it. Even if it doesn't, the brushing should stimulate the hair folicles and help it to re-grow.
HTH
Karen x

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 07:55:43 pm »
Some of my Kunes have had a bit of a moult over this hot weather too - not clumps, but certainly "thinned-out" a little.  Their all healthy & happy, so I'm not concerned. I can't really blame them - it was soooo hot here yesterday I felt like cutting my hair off too  ;) ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 08:22:12 pm »
She is moulting, they lose the hair this time of year as the weather gets colder we will all have hairy pigs again, mine are all short haired at the moment, so no need to worry

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 08:23:47 pm »
yep, ours are all moulting too...
Little Blue

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 08:37:54 pm »
dorothys moulting too, been dosed for crawlies just in case but very thin hair when shes usually has a lovely thick coat.

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 08:45:34 pm »
Yep, she's almost certainly moulting. I'm assuming there are no raw or irritated areas that might indicate lice. I panicked the first time ours went down to "underlay", too. Funnily, the boars don't seem to moult as much, and Horace not at all. I still need to get round to clipping him!

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 10:20:45 pm »

Oh thank you so  much - you  fantastic lovely lot!  :) .. def no sign of crawlies and no irritation on her skin. I have had a really good look and all looks okay.

Thanks again - Amanda

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 10:16:35 pm »
If it's any consolation, my Tamworth show pigs are losing hair like there's no tomorrow. One of the gilts looks like a large white at the moment!
Just keep the Factor 50 handy if there's some hot weather forecast. Our local shop must think I have 10 small, fair-skinned children!
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 05:02:16 pm »
this is the first year that my tammies have not lost their hair and they look fabulous

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 11:59:52 pm »
Well, lucky you!
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS