Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig vets Fife  (Read 1620 times)

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
Pig vets Fife
« on: July 28, 2011, 01:22:49 pm »
Hi

I will be getting a couple of Kune Kune pigs as pets in a couple of weeks (think I am finally on top of all the paperwork). I was wondering if anyone could reccomend a good vet in the North Fife area. I am near Wormit/ Newport on Tay. I am not sure if they have been vaccinated against erysipelas and will undoubtedly need a a vet at some point in the future regardless.

I also have chickens and ducks so a vet who is good with them too would be a bonus.

With regards to the vaccinations, do people tend to administer them themselves or do you get the vet out every time?

Thanks

Nicola

HappyHippy

Re: Pig vets Fife
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 01:50:49 pm »
I can't offer any vet recommendations, but hopefully someone from your area will be along soon  ;) Most vets (round here anyway) have very little pig experience  :-\ ::)
With regard to vaccinations etc - it's definately worth learning to do this yourself. Either, get the breeder who you're buying your pigs from to show you or get the vet out to do the first ones and get them to explain it to you. The costs for getting the vet to do it would likely be pretty expensive, especially for routine stuff  ::)
Kune Kunes are one of the easiest breeds to jag (I think) because they are so tame and friendly.
If erysipelas (sorry, spelling's way off today !) is a problem in your area, if you will have other pigs coming and going or if you are intending breeding it's definately worth doing (if it's castrated boys, purely as 'pets' you'll not need to worry too much  ;)) you need to give 2 jags, 4 weeks apart initially then every 6 months thereafter.
If you have sheep, or if the ground the pigs will be on has had sheep on it recently or there are sheep in neighbouring fields you might want to consider vaccinating against clostridium. It can cause sudden death in pigs, lambivac is the name of the medicine you'll need for that.
The only other thing you need to worry about is worming. They should have been wormed before leaving the breeder (but always double check) and should be fine for 6 months. It's always worth getting a worm count done before dosing them, they might not need treating (especially if it's fresh ground they're on) over-use of wormers can lead to resistance in some cases. Check out Supplies for Smallholders for the worm count kit - only about £10 and worth it IMHO.
Enjoy your Kunes, they are the loveliest little pigs I've ever encountered and I wouldn't be without them  ;)
Karen  :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Pig vets Fife
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 02:40:47 pm »
Try Parkside Veterinary Practice 01382 811111 They are in Dundee but I think do North Fife as well - it's only over the bridge. They do domestic, equine and large animals. The large animal ones I've met have been very good and very helpful.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS