Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat mix or Cow dairy nuts?  (Read 14400 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: Goat mix or Cow dairy nuts?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 07:21:50 pm »
Im really sorry, I know Ive asked this question before but I cant find the reply. My little pygmy boys are about 8 months old now so I feel it will be time for them to progress onto the next type of food. At the moment they have a mixture of pellets for sheep and calves, basically because I bought the wrong one (the sheep one) but couldnt afford to throw it away. So what should I get them now. Can they have one for older calves? Ive seen dairy nuts referred to on here, but are they just for milking goats? All advice much needed!!!!!!!

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: Goat mix or Cow dairy nuts?
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 10:42:21 pm »
Im really sorry, I know Ive asked this question before but I cant find the reply. My little pygmy boys are about 8 months old now so I feel it will be time for them to progress onto the next type of food. At the moment they have a mixture of pellets for sheep and calves, basically because I bought the wrong one (the sheep one) but couldnt afford to throw it away. So what should I get them now. Can they have one for older calves? Ive seen dairy nuts referred to on here, but are they just for milking goats? All advice much needed!!!!!!!
I don't have much experience of pygmy goats but I would expect that 8 months old they will have done most of their growing and really just need a maintenance feed, by that I mean one that is designed for them to live without having to do anything else. If you feed anything that is intended for production animals then it will be more expensive (protein usually costs the most) and your little boys will get rather fat. Dairy nuts are designed to be used for maintenance plus production, so they have higher energy and protein levels. Beef nuts are designed to be used for maintenance plus growth and have lower protein levels than dairy nuts, so would be a better choice but aren't ideal. There is certainly one brand of food on the market that is designed for pygmy goats so this would probably be your best solution, but failing that then lots of good quality hay (which they need whatever you feed) and a really small amount of goat mix or possibly beef nuts would probably be sufficient. Hope that helps. :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS