Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kune castration  (Read 5046 times)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Kune castration
« on: July 25, 2011, 10:36:54 pm »
Taking the little boys off to the vet tomorrow for their little ops!  The litters are aged between 3-5 weeks now.  I'm just a liitle bit concerned as the vet is doing the ops with local anaesthetic & I'm pretty sure that Kunes are done under general because of possible complications ...

Anyone else had theirs done this way?  Karen are you about?
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Kune castration
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 10:40:27 pm »
Mine were done when the boys were under so i can't help sorry.  Twas funny when they were coming around tho x x x

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 12:37:26 am »
As long as it's being done in the surgery the risks are lessened.
But my preferred mothod is a 'closed castration' maybe your vets do this with a local, I'm not sure  :-\
Just make sure you stress to them - IT'S NOT LIKE A NORMAL PIG ! The inguinal canal in Kunes is different (either wider or narrower, I can't remember which) and they are more prone to herniating. The standard cut, pull and cut method just isn't worth risking IMHO. Closed castrations typically cost around £50 -v- £10 for a 'standard' castration, but a hernia repair will cost you in excess of £100 (assuming it's even possible) Try and talk to the vet, rather than a receptionist/vet nurse and make them aware of this fact - BUT some vets just think they know best  ::) :-\
Good luck with it - I'm hoping to get over to you next week sometime too, will be in touch.
Karen  :-*

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 10:16:40 pm »
How did it go Lynne ?

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 08:26:34 pm »
Yep, all ok - well, I say all.  3 of the boys already had hernias.  The vet managed to repair 1 when she did the castration - thankfully as he's already booked  ::)  She didn't touch the other 2, so they'll stay home for another 9 months & go to the great freezer in the sky  ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 08:57:36 pm »
please explain to a newby... ive had kunes 1 week.......... do i need to castraite or not... will be killing at about 11 months

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 10:10:18 am »
 :wave: Harry

You may be able to get away with not castrating Kune litter brothers ( as long as there are no females about to wind the hormones up  ;) ) BUT remember that Kune Boars mature sexually at about 5 months, you may have to seperate them - adjacent paddocks, so they can still see each other, for welfare considerations.

Bearing in mind that late castrations will cost more (heavier = needing more costly anaesthetic) it's not worth doing you doing it post-weaning for meat pigs, unless it's for health problems.

IMPE I've had more meat from a castrate than from an entire of similar age (14-months 82kg of cuts vs 13-months 54kg), though at 7-months the entires had less fat on the carcass than the castrates.

See how yours get on - they could be ready for the great abbatoir in the sky before 11-months (especially if they start getting "Boarish" with you  ;) )
 :love: :pig: :love:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS