Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Milking  (Read 2495 times)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Milking
« on: July 25, 2011, 08:49:39 pm »
I keep goats for meat.  I was wondering how easy it would be to milk one of the mums when I wean the kids?  She is very tame and I thought it would be quite nice to have a bit of milk for us.

The mums are on their 2nd kidding, so 3+yrs old

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Milking
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 09:14:59 pm »
As long as her teets are long enough you can milk her. Make sure you tie her  up first and give her enough feed to keep her occupied, she might object at first and try to kick the bucket over but will soon get used to it. wash and dry her bag first to get rid of any dirt and loose hair, then when you have stripped her out massage some udder cream into her teets and bag to stop her getting sore. Your milk will still need to be filtered against flys,hair and dirt, but have a go and well done for trying.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Milking
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 09:17:27 pm »
shouldn't be too much of a problem.... but I would start now,  take off a small amount at a set time of day, 12 hour intervals like nornal milking .  This will train the let down stimulus so when the kid/s are weaned, she will carry on giving milk.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS