Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Piggy Poo  (Read 4018 times)

Stresshead71

• Joined Jul 2011
Piggy Poo
« on: July 25, 2011, 04:40:11 pm »
Hi everyone  Environmental Health have no issues with me having a couple of rare breed piggies in my back garden 

Anyway just wanted to know the best ways to dispose of their poo in order to reduce the smell ??
Can it be composted and if so whats the best way...

Also what rare breed pigs would be the best to start with ?

Paul..   :farmer:

Bioman

Re: Piggy Poo
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 06:37:00 pm »
Composting is the only real option if its in your garden. (I have quite a bit of land and I compost mine ) Pig poo in with grass and a bit of straw and plenty of water it seems to rot down excellently.

If you're garden is big enough for pigs- Depends how big your garden is. If it's medium or a large garden (a good 20ft by 20ft minimum) then OSB or Berkshire. Others will have their own personal preferences and these are mine. 

If the amount of room you are willing to give your pig is less than this I personally wouldnt recommend getting pigs. (15ft by 15 ft would be an absolute minimum. Any shorter and the pigs might as well live in a box)

Maggie

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Umberleigh, Devon
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 01:30:43 pm »
I have 2 Large Black sows and 4  four month old LB piglets.  To be honest I've never had an issue with their poo smelling at all.  Don't know if that's typical of LBs.  The pigs themselves have a not too unpleasant *coffee* odour.  Anyhoo, I do a poop scoop every few days, very easy as mine tend to poop in the same place every time.  I then take the bucket and spread it in the orchard.  Or maybe you have a neighbour with a veggie garden who might be happy to collect it for free?

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 02:26:11 pm »
Our pigs smell MUCH less than the chickens, but then they have more room largely due to them being slightly less attractive to the local fox population.  So yes, as much room as possible.  Personally I like Berkshires (nice personality, also not very big) but OSBs are often recommended for beginners. 

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 10:32:23 am »
We compost all our pig poo and grow pumpkins and marrows on the previous years heap!
Paul think carefully about whether you go ahead with keeping pigs in your garden, particularly in an urban situation, they really must have space to root around otherwise you will just end up with two incredibly fatty lardy pigs also consider security as well, kids whilst genrally are interested and curious can also be spiteful and nasty and think nothing of letting you animals out of your garden or doing horrible things to them ( we have had this experience recently ::)).
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS