Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another France Newbie!  (Read 9167 times)

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
Another France Newbie!
« on: January 19, 2008, 01:02:38 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I discovered this site a few days ago & have been having a look around, It seems a very nice friendly forum so I decided to join you all!  We moved to France at the beginning of October 07 & we live in Belabre 36, about 10k east of Le Blanc.  We live in a mobile home at the mo, we bought a ruin to renovate,  although I thought we might have been better off building Noah's Ark if it keeps raining! Everywhere is so muddy!  I've looked forward to keeping pigs for several years now after having friends in the UK that kept GOS.  But since I've been here my wish list is getting longer! My plan is to start off with two GOS weaners to fatten & see how I go with it all, although I would love a mangalitza as a pet. We already have two dobermans Alfie & Bella and Two cats Marmalade & Poppy, It can get very cramped in the caravan!!  But I love it, mud & all.

Anyway I'm looking forward to chatting with you all & sharing advice, I may need a little!! 

Take Care, Donna  ;D

I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Another France Newbie!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 01:44:29 pm »
Hi welcome.  Its nice to "meet" other expats.  Having a mangalitsa and then two gossies for fattening sounds absolutely perfect to me, and look on the bright side, you dont have to have them sharing the caravan with you.  Looking forward to hearing all about you.  HM

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 01:58:23 pm »
Hi and welcome.

We're also at the start of our new way of life. Only had our sheep and pigs for 3 months and I'm in love with it all - even the mud!

Looking forward to hearing all your news.

Best wishes,

Pebbles

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 05:11:32 pm »
Hi there and welcome  :)

Sounds like your starting a wonderful adventure, something I would love to do too..

Although I cant keep pigs/sheep/cattle... I do love having my chickens and my raised beds, which keep me as happy as a little pig in ***  ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 09:31:42 am »
Hi, Donna

Welcome to the TAS forums - we'll look forward to hearing all about your advetures.

The south of England must be nearly empty!

Rosemary

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 12:49:21 pm »
To All Thanks for the lovely welcome, I new I'd joined this forum for a reason  :)

The sure are a few expats here which is great but I do love England too, but couldn't have our dream with a 2 up 2 down cottage with a postage stamp for a garden! Today is a most glorious day the sun is shining & the sky is blue - I think someone did turn the tap off, he must of heard you guys!!

I'm glad you think it would be ok to keep the mangalitza & the Gos together, Matt's still outside digging a hole to release the water that is covering the water meter! so I will speak with him when he gets back in, due out for Sunday lunch soon - which is lovely not having to cook!
Take Care All - Speak soon
P.s - Great news about Mrs DeVere  :)

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 09:50:20 pm »
Welcome Donna

We have the sister of the Mangalitza you are having - Violet -and also his half brother and sister - Onslo and Rose.  You will just adour him - here in our area the French call them the Chien Cochon - they don't quite get that they are pigs! Rose is actually due her first litter soon so we are realluy looking forward to that - quite nervous actually!

We pick up our two Gossies in Feb, just selected them today so it is an exciting time for us as well.

Welcome to the forum and we look forward to hearing all about your new life.

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 10:15:32 am »
Hi Kate
Thanks for the welcome, I'm sure I'll be after your help & experience!
I just had a look at your really nice website!  and I saw the Swallowbellies Onslo & Rose (they look just like them!) and sweet little Violet - they are as you said 'adorable' Can't wait!!
You must be really excited with having your first litter of Mangalitza arriving soon and the gossies too!
I now have to wait for my arc (2nd week feb) & then it'll be all systems go! 

Donna

Farmer Giles

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 06:03:51 pm »
Hello Hello

Welcome guys welcome, lovely to meet you the other day. I know that if you need questions answered or advice there are many wise and wonderful people on this forum who will know the answer or will be able to point you in the right direction.

I hope that all goes as you want and you enjoy your new life 'en France'

All the best to you and you menagerie (which will soon be increasing by the sound of things)

Andy

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 11:20:55 pm »
Hi Donna - yes we are based in the UK (alas)- Iwas surprised how many contributers on this forum are france based - although withthe property prices here i shouldn't have been!!! :)
Keep well 
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 08:15:06 pm »
Hey, nothing wrong with the UK!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 08:15:49 pm »
Actually, there are a few things wrong, but, hey, it's home.

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 09:01:05 pm »
The country itself is fab - I guess i should have said the state it's currently in(but this  isn't a political forum!!! :))
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 06:17:03 pm »
I love the UK too, my other half keeps telling me off because I still call it home  :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS